Kathal Biryani Pulao- Aromatic and delicious jackfruit pulao- specialty from Awadhi Cuisine
Kathal Biryani Pulao- Jack fruit/Kathal is a exotic vegetable,popular and enjoyed in many regions of India.It is a very good source of dietary fibre so a good option for vegetarians. Ripe jackfruit/kathal is used as a fruit and the tender young jackfruit is used to make stir fries,curries, pulao and pickle .
Kathal Biryani Pulao / Jackfruit Pilaf
- 1.5 cup Rice/chawal
- 3 cup jackfruit/kathal chopped
- 1.5 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3/4 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint / Hara Pudina
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch paste
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Milk
- Pinch Saffron / Kesar
Whole Spices/ Garam Masala
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 1 Star anise/ Phool Chakri/ Badiyan
- Apply some oil on your hands and on the knife and peel the jack fruit skin and remove the center part.Chop jackfruit in small pieces and peel and chop the seeds.
- n the pressure cooker add 1 glass of water,1/2 tsp turmeric,1/2 tsp salt and chopped jackfruit and cook till done (about 2 whistles,depend on the quality and size of jackfruit)
- Drain the jackfruit and gently squeeze out the water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and shallow fry the jack fruit pieces for 2 minutes.Take the jackfruit in a bowl and add ginger, garam masala, chili powder, lemon juice and yogurt .
- Mix well and cover the bowl and let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- Warm milk and Add crushed saffron in warm milk and keep aside
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.Boil enough water in a big pan add the whole spices,1 tsp salt and the soaked rice and cook al dente.
- Drain the boiled rice on a colander and keep aside
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee and 3 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add 1 bayleaf,1 tsp jeera ,green chili paste ,chopped tomato and salt. Cover and cook till tomato become soft.
- Now add the marinated jackfruit (along with the marinade) in the pan and saute till oil start separating.
- Add chopped mint,coriander, pinch of cardamom powder and boiled rice in the pan.Mix properly and sprinkle saffron milk on it .
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with yogurt, papad and pickle