Kathal Biryani Pulao- Aromatic and delicious jackfruit pulao- specialty from Awadhi Cuisine
Kathal Biryani Pulao- Jack fruit/Kathal is a exotic vegetable,popular and enjoyed in many regions of India.It is a very good source of dietary fibre so a good option for vegetarians. Ripe jackfruit/kathal is used as a fruit and the tender young jackfruit is used to make stir fries,curries, pulao and pickle .
This kathal Biryani is very popular among vegetarian and non-vegetarians.To make this biryani jackfruit should be either boiled or fried according to personal preference and then it is marinated in a spicy yogurt marinade which gives a very nice flavor to the Biryani.
You need just a bowl of chilled yogurt or Spinach Raita and papad to serve with.
The seeds of jackfruits are also edible but they have to be peeled carefully as mature seeds have a very thick plastic like coating which have to be removed carefully before adding in the curries or pilaf.I have posted a delicious stir fry with jack fruit seeds
You can also try these Delicious recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Kathal Biryani Pulao / Jackfruit Pilaf
Kathal Biryani- Aromatic and delicious jackfruit pilaf- speciality from Awadhi Cuisine
Servings: 4 people
- 1.5 cup Rice/chawal
- 3 cup jackfruit/kathal chopped
- 1.5 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3/4 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint / Hara Pudina
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch paste
- 2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Milk
- Pinch Saffron / Kesar
Whole Spices/ Garam Masala
- 4 Cloves / Lavang
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 1 Star anise/ Phool Chakri/ Badiyan
- Apply some oil on your hands and on the knife and peel the jack fruit skin and remove the center part.Chop jackfruit in small pieces and peel and chop the seeds.
- n the pressure cooker add 1 glass of water,1/2 tsp turmeric,1/2 tsp salt and chopped jackfruit and cook till done (about 2 whistles,depend on the quality and size of jackfruit)
- Drain the jackfruit and gently squeeze out the water.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and shallow fry the jack fruit pieces for 2 minutes.Take the jackfruit in a bowl and add ginger, garam masala, chili powder, lemon juice and yogurt .
- Mix well and cover the bowl and let it marinate for 20 minutes.
- Warm milk and Add crushed saffron in warm milk and keep aside
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes.Boil enough water in a big pan add the whole spices,1 tsp salt and the soaked rice and cook al dente.
- Drain the boiled rice on a colander and keep aside
- Heat 2 tbsp of ghee and 3 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add 1 bayleaf,1 tsp jeera ,green chili paste ,chopped tomato and salt. Cover and cook till tomato become soft.
- Now add the marinated jackfruit (along with the marinade) in the pan and saute till oil start separating.
- Add chopped mint,coriander, pinch of cardamom powder and boiled rice in the pan.Mix properly and sprinkle saffron milk on it .
- Cover the pan with a tight lid and simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot with yogurt, papad and pickle
Swati Mishra says
Swati Mishra says
Looks yummy 🙂
Great..all ur dishes are imply great
Shweta Agrawal says
thats some healthy combo on the plate 🙂 Looks yummy and colourful…bang on 🙂
Looks simply delicious, try this soon!!
nandoos Kitchen says
Priya Suresh says
This briyani is in my to do list, unfortunately i dont get fresh kathals here, let me check for the tinned one.
Veena Theagarajan says
Looks great.. and so tasty rice.. I have bookmarked