Bhindi raita-Stir fried Okra and tempered yogurt dip
Bhindi Raita- Bhindi /okra is a favourite vegetable of most of us,it is a versatile vegetable which can be made in several ways.I usually made stir fries and stuffed bhindi.
Some people avoid using bhindi due to its sliminess,but there are few tips to avoid that,first you have to wash and wipe okra very well before cutting and don’t cook on low flame as it increase its sliminess so cook on medium flame and preferably without covering the pan,and add some mango powder while stir frying it.
As every one in my family loves okra so I tried this Bhindi raita and we all love this.You can either deep fry bhindi’s or shallow fry them ,depends on your personal preference.I made it with both ways depends on the time .In Southern part of India this raita is named as Vendakka Pachdi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Bhindi Ka Raita
- 150 gm Okra/ Bhindi
- 1 cup Dahi/ Yogurt
- 1/4 tsp Chaat Masala
- 1/3 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Dhaniya
- to Taste Salt
- 1 tsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds/ Rai
- 1/3 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 5 curry leaves
- Soak okra in enough water for 5 minutes and then rub and wash well.Now wipe okra very well with a cloth napkin.
- Trim both the ends of okra and then make thin slices from the okra.
- Heat enough oil in a deep pan and deep fry the okra slices in hot oil till golden and crisp.
- heat 2.5 tbsp oil in a heavy pan and shallow fry okra slices on medium heat till golden and crisp (add okras in batches)
- Drain the fried okra on a paper napkin and keep aside.In a bowl add yogurt and whisk well.
- add salt,chili powder,fresh coriander, chat masala and some water if needed and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add cumin and mustard seeds.When seeds start crackling add curry leaves.
- Remove the pan from the flame and add chili powder and immedietely pour over the yogurt mixture.
- Add the fried okra in the yogurt ,mix and serve chilled.
- Serving suggestions-serve with paratha ,pulao or daal -rice combo