Potato patties stuffed with fresh coconut,cashew and fresh herbs
Tomorrow is Krishna Janmashtami ( the day when Lord Krishna was born) and most of the followers of Lord Krishna fast on this auspicious day including my family. Traditionally on Shri Krishna Janmashtami consumption of grain and pulses are not allowed,only millet’s, fruits and few selected root vegetables can be consumed throughout the day , however this tradition might vary on individual family choice and rituals.
Throughout the day of Krishna Janmashtami we spend our mornings making preparations for Krishna janam decorations,lighting and making prashad of panjiri and panchamrit and finally in the evening we have a feast to enjoy after midnight i.e after the time Lord Krishna was born .
Buff vada or nariyal ki kachori is a Gujarati specialty which is a popular snack to have during fasting.The outer covering is made with boiled and mashed potato and a delicious tangy mix of fresh coconut,herbs and dry fruits is used for stuffing.the tangy stuffing makes it so delicious .You can also make it as a snack on any occasion.
In my family we make different types of Mawa paag, Phool Makhana kheer, Rajgiri ki poori , Vrat ki Aloo subzi , kuttu ki pakodi , Phalahari Arbi ki subzi , Samak and aloo tikki and many different dishes on Janmashtami.
Buff Vada ,Nariyal Ki Kachori
- 4 medium Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 4 tbsp Arrowroot / Corn Flour / Tapkir
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coconut, Grated
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch minced
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak Paste
- 3 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju chopped
- 2 tbsp Peanuts / Moongphali (Roasted) crushed
- 1 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1.5 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Peel the boiled potato and then grate or mash it properly ,there should not be any lump in it
- Add arrowroot ,salt ,1/2 tsp cumin ,1 tsp oil in the mashed potato and mix it well
- In a bowl add fresh coconut, coriander, green chili,ginger,lemon juice ,sugar,cashew ,peanuts ,raisins and little salt and mix well
- Make equal medium size balls from the potato mixture.
- Grease your palm with oil and take a potato ball and flatten it by pressing with your finger tips.
- Now put about 1 .5 tbsp of coconut mixture in the center.
- Now pull it from all the sides and make a smooth ball.
- Dust the ball lightly in the dry arrowroot powder or cornflour.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry in a deep and broad pan
- Add few balls in the pan and deep fry on medium heat
- When buff vada become golden from all the sides then remove on a paper napkin.
- Serve hot.
- In the stuffing you can also add 2 tbsp of roasted and crushed sesame seeds/till instead of cashew nuts .
- You can shape the vadas and can keep refrigerated for a day ,deep fry only when required.
- Instead of deep frying you can shape it as a cutlet and shallow fry in little oil or brush with little oil and bake in an oven.
- You may need little less or little more arrowroot or corn flour according to the quality of potato.
- Instead of arrowroot you can easily use cornflour ,Rajgiri atta or sabudana flour for binding.