Homemade Mexican Tomatillo salsa
Salsa verde /tomatillo salsa is a delicious and easy dip which can be enjoyed with any snack,chips,nachos or as a side dish with your meal.
Tomatillo looks like a green tomato but it is a Mexican relative of tomato. The green tomatillo is covered with a brownish dry husk similar to what we have on the rasbhari fruit in India. I have never seen a tomatillo in Dubai as it is not so easily available here.
When my daughter came back from the U.S., she brought me a few exotic vegetables and different types of smoked chilies for me, best gift for a food blogger mom :). She also brought few tomatillos that’s when I got a chance to taste these tangy fruits. The recipe which I have tried with the tomatillos is – salsa verde, (Verde is Spanish for “Green”) and is very popular preparation with tomatillos in Mexico. The family just loved the fresh tangy salsa verde.
I have roasted the tomatillo in the oven but you can directly roast it on stove top, grill it in a grilling pan, or as an easy option cook it in a microwave but grilling is preferred as it enhances the flavours of the salsa.
Mexican Salsa Verde ,Tomatillo Salsa
- 8 Tomatillo
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1.5 tbsp Olive Oil / Zeitoun Ka Tel
- to taste Salt / Namak
- Remove the husk from the tomatillo and wash them well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil.
- Place tomatillo and green chilies on it and broil for about 5-7 minutes on high heat till the top become black.
- To grill in a pan- grease the pan and put tomatillo and grill till they get black spots and then flip the side and cook from both the sides.
- Add the cooked tomatillo, chilies, sugar, salt , fresh coriander,olive oil,lemon juice in the blender jar
- Pulse until it mix properly ,but don't over grind it .
- Check the seasoning and keep it refrigerated in a glass jar.
- Serve with chips or nachos.
- No need to peel the tomatillo after grilling.
- You can also add few slices of avocado while blending the salsa to make it more healthy and creamier.
- Adjust the seasoning according to your taste,can make more spicier or milder.
- You can also use green tomatoes if tomatillos are not available.