Puli Milagai-Sweet and sour green chili pickle made with tamarind, jaggary and few basic spices
Puli Milagai is a classic south Indian pickle .Green chilies are tempered and cooked with jaggary and tamarind.It is a very delicious sweet and sour pickle, it can be made fresh in small quantities as it doesn’t have a long shelf life.
Its best enjoyed with curd rice,daal, rice or as a side dish with any meal but I enjoyed it the most with aloo paratha.
Puli milagai is usually made with only green chilies but I always add some chopped ginger in it .The consistency of its gravy depends on individual choice ,if you like more gravy then add little extra water but I prefer it on thicker side.Try to choose mild variety of green chilies to make this chili pickle.
The word puli means tamarind and Milagai means green chili thus the name of this pickle is Puli Milagai-green chili cooked with tamarind.
I love chili pickle and often make-
- Stuffed chili pickle ,
- Maharashtrian chili pickle,
- Chili and lemon pickle
- Rajasthani Mirch ke tipore
- Digestive lemon pickle
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Puli Miligai Recipe ,Chili pickle in Tamarind and Jaggary
- 350 gms Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1/4 cup Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 40 gm Tamarind / Imli size of 2 lemons
- 2.5 tbsp Jaggary / Gud
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2.5 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 cup Cooking Oil
- Wash and pat dry the green chilies.
- Chop into medium size pieces or slit lengthwise
- Soak tamarind in a cup of water for 25 minutes and then mash it and remove the seeds
- Heat oil in a pan and add asafoetida ,fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds
- When mustard start crackling add the chopped green chilies and ginger
- Saute for a minute on medium heat.
- Now add salt,turmeric ,tamarind water and grated jaggary.
- Cook till it thickens.
- Store in a glass bottle when cools down completely