Sindhi kadhi -Tangy mix vegetable curry in tomato sauce
Why Is Sindhi Kadhi So Popular
Sindhi Kadhi- Usually when we make kadhi then we add besan ka pakora,boondi ,vegetable fritters etc. in the kadhi. The gravy/curry of kadhi is also made with besan and the pakora’s are also made with besan/gramflour. The pakora/ fritters are deep fried in oil. So lots of gram flour and the fried fritters makes it delicious but quite heavy on the stomach.
This kadhi is made with roasted gramflour/besan and fresh tomato puree. Instead of pakora or boondi lots of vegetables are added in the kadhi which adds nutrition,taste and makes it light to digest. Addition of tomato puree and the vegetables gives a very nice taste to the kadhi.
How To Make Sindhi Kadhi
After adding the tempering of cumin,mustard and fenugreek seeds ,besan /gramflour is added in the tempering and roasted on low heat till it turn golden in colour. Then either add tomato puree or plain water ,all the spices and the vegetables and cook till the vegetables become soft.
The main vegetables to be added in the kadhi are- potato,okra/bhindi, guvar/ cluster beans/ drumsticks and brinjal. You can also add carrots, lotus stem, cauliflower, green peas, pumpkin/lauki ,beans and tinda in it as per your preference and availability . For sourness and the tangy flavour tamarind pulp is added in the kadhi. Addition of fresh tomato puree is optional you can make it without adding tomato puree,But addition of tomatoes enhance the taste of the kadhi and I always make with tomato puree.
How To Serve Sindhi Kadhi
Sindhi kadhi is usually served with jeera rice or steamed rice. Personally I prefer it with jeera rice (without any garam masala). Fried papad, Aloo Tuk- Fried aloo,arbi and brinjals and sweet boondi is served along the Sindhi kadhi.
If you love Sindhi Cuisine then do try these-
You also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook and Instagram for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 1/2 cup Gram flour/ Besan
- 300 gm Tomato
- 2 medium Potato/Aloo
- 2 small Brinjals/ baigan
- 100 gm Cluster beans/ Guvar phali
- 100 gm Okra/ Bhindi
- 5 flrets Cauliflower/ phool gobhi
- 1 Drumstick/ sehjan ki phali
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger/ adrak chopped
- 3 tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric/haldi
For the tempering/ tadka/waghar
- 5 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seed/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seed/ Rai
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seed/ Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 3 Whole dried red chilies
- 3 Green Chilies Chopped
- 12 Curry Leaves
- Chop and boil the tomatoes in 2 cups of water and puree when cooled.*Chop okra and cluster beans in 3 inch long pieces.
- Chop the potatoes, brinjals and cauliflower in big pieces.
- Deep fry okra pieces, You can also fry cauliflower and brinjal if you want to.
- Heat oil in a pan, add fenugreek seeds, cumin, and asafoetida.When the start crackling, add chopped green chillies, whole red chillies and curry leaves.
- Add gram flour and fry on low flame to a nice golden color, keep stirring.
- Now add the cluster beans and saute with gram flour for a few seconds.Add a glass of water and stir well. Ensure that no lumps are formed.
- Now mix 4 glasses of warm water and the tomato puree
- Add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and cook on medium flame for 5 minutes
- Add potato pieces,ginger and drumstick pieces and cook for 15 minutes
- Add the fried brinjal, cauliflower and tamarind paste and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the fried okra, chopped green coriander and cook for 5 minutes.
- By now, the oil should start coalescing over the stew, which indicates that the Kadhi is cooked, and ready to serve.
- * You can also fry brinjal and cauliflower before adding in the kadhi .
- Can add any other vegetables of your choice.
- You can also make this curry without adding tomato puree .
M D says
That looks great! Tomato Kadhi is new and need to give this a a try!
Prathima Rao says
Makes for a delish & satisfying meal 😉
wow…luks so delicious…….yummy kichdi
Tomato kadhi looks yummy…
Kalpana Sareesh says
very yummy looking with loads of veggie..
Its the first time I am hearing of this….will surely like to try this as both me and my husband love tomatoes 🙂 🙂
Wow. Looks perfect & tempting.
Santosh Bangar says
INNOVATIVE DELICIOUS KADI
Sobha Shyam says
looks delicious, never tried before..
Pasta And Paratha says
This looks like a very wholesome kadhi..will have to try it soon..
Thank you for your warm and lovely comments…Kadhi is one dish that I am yet to try..This one looks very delicious for sure…
Kitchen – The Chef's Paradisecess
Delicious..Yummy one to try it asap