Ajwaini masala arbi – Colocasia ,Taro root cooked with mild Indian spices.
Taro root/Colocasia is a tuber and is usually available during summers. There are various ways to cook this vegetable – you can boil, fry, or steam it and then add in any combination of tangy and spicy sauces (yogurt generally goes very well with taro). Every Indian state has its own special recipe to make taro root curries.
Its slightly slimy in nature so many people avoid making it but if done properly it turn out very delicious.First you have to be careful while boiling taro root as it should be boiled till just done, over cooked arbi will turn very slimy.
While cooking you have to add some kind of souring agent to balance the sliminess and blend taste,yogurt, mango powder, tamarind juice or lemon juice can be added,but yogurt goes very well with arbi / taro root curry,so I always prefer to add some yogurt in arbi ki subzi. If Yogurt is not added then fry it well in enough oil else it remain slimy and not taste great
I have also posted these arbi recipes-
- Arbi ki sookhi sabzi
- Ajwaini Masala arbi
- Vrat wali Falahari Arbi
- Arbi Ki Bhujiya
- Arbi masala
- Dahi wali arbi
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Ajwaini Masala Arbi ,Colocasia ,Taro Root fry
Ajwaini masala arbi - Colocasia ,Taro root cooked with mild Indian spices.
- 500 gms Taro roots / Arbi / Colocasia
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain Bishop’s Weed
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1/3 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 3 tbsp Refined oil-1 tsp
- Wash and pressure cook arbi for 2 whistles or boil in a pan till just done. Do not overcook.
- Peel and divide each arbi in two pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, deep fry arbi slices till golden brown in color on high flame.**
- Drain and keep aside.
- Heat 3 tbs of oil in a pan,add ajwain and asafoetida,and when it starts crackling, lower the heat and add grated ginger and stir.
- Now add the garam masala, turmeric and chili powder, mix and then add the fried arbi pieces
- Stir to mix all the spices with the arbi pieces. Add salt, mango powder, chopped coriander and mix again.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and serve.
- Serving suggestions: Can be served as an appetizer or as aside dish with rice and daal combo or rotis.
Note- **you can make this dish without frying the arbi too. Frying is done to reduce the slimness of the arbi.
Amazing receipes… and very easy to cook… love ths site…
I hate arbi but dad loves them! And these roasted ones look amazing! Will make it for him sometime.. 🙂
YUMMY!! I love Arbi and this one looks fantastic!! Just discovered your blog, nice page!! Happy Blogging 🙂 and Happy New Year!
Wish you and family a very happy and prosperous new year:-)
Lovely recipe too..
Thank you so much to visit my blog and for the warm wishes. Happy New Year to you and yours.
Arabi is my fav and yours look very tempting and mouthwatering. Glad to follow you.
delicious looking dish and site following you nice to meet you
Balvinder ( Neetu) says
Anjana,I love the way you have made arbi. But to make my husband eat this nutty tuber I make it without frying but with same masalas. Fried one would obviously taste better. Happy New Year to you and your family.
Magia da Inês says
♫♫.•*¨`*•..¸ ☼ ☼ ¸.•*¨`*•.♫♫♫.
╔═════════ ೋღღೋ ═════════╗
ೋ ~~* FELIZ ANO NOVO *~~ ೋ
╚═════════ ೋღღೋ ═════════╝
♫♫.•*¨`*•..¸☼ 2012☼ ¸.•*¨`*•.♫♫
Ho i'm drooling. Looks so yummy. Bookmarked it
Hi Anjana…loved your thought of writing a blog to help all the newly wed brides….its the best gift to them 🙂
you have a lovely cozy space….glad to follow u 🙂
do visit my blog and participate in the ongoing event
Happy new year to u and your family
Kalpana Sareesh says
super yummy looking n crispy.. outside.. too good..