Sai Bhaji – A very healthy curry made with spinach,lentils and mix vegetables
Sai means green and bhaji means vegetables.there are so many version and combination of vegetables to make this healthy dish. Bhatia community from Sindh also make this and call this khichu saag.
Sai bhaji is normally served with yellow rice OR bhuga chawal(brown rice), Raita, baigan and aloo tuk (fried potatoes and brinjals ) and papad are the best accompaniment for this signature sindhi dish.
As Sai bhaji is loaded with greens and assorted vegetables,this is a very good source of Iron, Folic acid, vitamin A,C,K , fibre etc.
You can either mash the bhaji completely with the ladle or a hand blender or just slightly mash it, like I did .You can also make this curry just with the first 7 vegetables from the list(spinach-brinjal).You need not to have all the vegetables to make this.
You can also check these recipes-
Sai Bhaji with Yellow Rice
- 3 cup Spinach / Palak chopped
- 1 cuo Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 3/4 cup Dill Leaves/ suwa bhaji/ shepu
- 1/2 cup Bengal gram /chana daal
- 3 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 1 medium Potatoes / Aloo
- 3/4 cup Brinjals / Baingan
- 3/4 cup Yam / Suran
- 3 inch lotus steam
- 10 Cluster beans /Guvar phali
- 1/2 cup khatta bhaji
- 3 tbsp Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1.5 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
For The Tempering /tadka
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 5 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- Wash and chop potato and yam in medium size pieces and bottle gourd ,brinjal,raw mango,ginger and tomato in small pieces
- Wash and chop spinach ,dill (remove the hard and thick steams of dill and spinach) and green chilies and trim the ends of whole cluster beans and make 1 inch size pieces.
- Wash,scrap and make thin slice of lotus steam .
- Wash and soak chana daal in water for approx. 1/2 hour
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker,then add chopped green chilies and asafoetida.
- Now add ginger,soaked chana daal and spinach ,saute for few seconds.
- Add all the vegetables and 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistle on medium heat or till cooked properly.
- When cool down completely, open the cooker and slightly mash the curry with a ladle or a whisk.
- Some prefer to grind it with a hand blender and make it into a smooth paste,but I prefer to mash it slightly and bite and feel the vegetable.so you can do according to your preference.taste great both ways:)
- Add 1/2 cup water(can add 1- 1 .5 cup,according to the thickness u want) then mix and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat
- Add 1 tsp ghee and serve hot
1 - If raw mango is not available then add mango powder OR lemon juice at the end of cooking.
2--khatta bhaji-Indian sorrel leaves
Rue Kasandra Meadows says
I'm from the Philippines and I'm excited to try new dishes from other country. This Sai Bhaji with Yellow Rice recipe is new to me so I love to try this. I just hope that I can find some of the ingredients here in our country. BTW, you should try our famous corn rice. It's rich in fiber, calcium, beta-carotene and amino acids. The good thing about corn rice is that it has no trans fat and cholesterol.
Divya Pramil says
Amazing..I love spinach 🙂 This sounds just yummy 🙂
Today's Special – Stuffed Capsicum / Bell Peppers Stuffed With Eggs – Pressure Cooker Method
You Too Can Cook Indian Food
Perfect and looks too good 🙂
Prathima Rao says
Delicious combo & makes a comforting meal..
Looks delicious and yummy
yummy and healthy…
B-O-O-O-O Halloween Event Oct 5th to Nov 5th
SYF&HWS – Cook with Spices
South Indian Cooking (SIC) Series
Wonderful foods, sai bhaji looks healthy and inviting.
Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj says
Today's Recipe – Bhel Puri Chaat – SNC No-1 Join in my first event – FEAST FOR YOUR GURU VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
The bhaji and the rice, I can have some right away, looks superb..
sowmya(creative saga) says
Suja Manoj says
Delicious and tempting meal..yum
Just drooling here, irresistible.
WeR SAHM says
nice delicious sindi recipes …. this bhaji is totally new to me ….
Inviting to join Ongoing Event
Taste Of Tropics – Authentic Indian Platter
Its been ages since I has Sai bhaji and usually waited for my Sindhi friends to get it rather than make it my self. Now that all those friends are far away I good to have this recipe handy 🙂 though i never saw kamal kakdi in it.. guess that's cause u dint get it in Pune that often.Thanks for sharing bookmarked it!
Meena B says
arre where did rest of comments go anjana
i did comment on this
did u repost
now it did show on my dashboard
its typical bhatia food
saaya chhokha saayi bhaaji
kadhai chhole— a guest post
a comfort meal for lazy days..