Lauki ka raita -A cool and refreshing bottle gourd and yogurt dip.
Lauki ka raita is among the most popular raita recipes of North India. Lauki is very cooling in nature and easy and good for digestion. so lauki is a popular summer vegetable and available very easily available during the season.
during summer we make so many types of raita and yogurt based curries as they are easy to digest. Lauki is the preferred one to make raita and sabzi. Making lauki ka raita is quite easy, but we can’t make raita with raw lauki like we make with cucumber.
First of all we have to peel and grate lauki/ bottle gourd. The grated lauki is pressure cooked for a whistle with little water OR you can also cook it in a pan . Then have to wait till the lauki cool down completely.Then the yogurt is whisked well. The boiled lauki and spices are added in the yogurt. To dilute the raita use the water in which you have boiled the lauki.
Add some cumin tempering or chopped fresh coriander on top of the raita before serving. This lauki raita goes very well with pulao, biryani, paratha’s and almost every thing.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Lauki Ka Raita /Bottle Gourd and yogurt Dip
- 250 gms Bottle Gourd / Lauki approx
- 2 cup Yoghurt
- 1/3 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Black Salt / Kala Namak
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 8 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1 tsp Cooking oil or ghee
- Peel and grate the bottle gourd,remove the hard seeds if any.
- Pressure cook with 1 cup of water for 2 whistles or till cooked well and soft
- Open and let it cool down completely .this boiled bottle gourd can be refrigerated and used for up to 3 days.
- Whisk the curd ,add salt,chilli powder .add some water( in which bottle gourd is boiled.)
- Add the boiled gourd (approx 1.5 cup) and mix well.
- Heat 1 t.s oil in a small pan ,add cumin and curry leaves,switch off the heat and add a pinch of chilli powder.
- Pour over the raita and chill before serving.
- serving suggestions-serve as a side dish .