Kathal sabzi – Stir fried Jackfruit in select Indian spices.
Kathal sabzi- Jack fruit is called Kathal in Hindi. Being a good source of dietary fiber its a particularly good option for vegetarians. The flesh is starchy and fibrous and the seeds are also edible. Mature fruits have hard seeds similar to Chestnuts, with a hard plastic like cover.
To open or peel the raw seed you have to slit or crack it carefully with a knife or just boil and peel. It tastes like a mix of potato and taro/colocasia.
Jack fruit/Kathal is a exotic vegetable,popular and enjoyed in many regions of India.It is a very good source of dietary fiber so a good option for vegetarians. Ripe Jackfruit/kathal is used as a fruit and the tender young Jackfruit is used to make stir fries,curries, pulao and pickle .
The seeds of Jackfruit are also edible but they have to be peeled carefully as mature seeds have a very thick plastic like coating which have to be removed carefully before adding in the curries or pilaf.
You can also try these delicious sabzi and curries-
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Kathal ki Subzi ,Jackfruit Fry
- 500 gm jackfruit/kathal
- 4 tbsp Yogurt/Curd
- 1 tbsp Ginger/ Adrak
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/4 tsp Cloves / Lavang
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- To Taste Salt / Namak
- 1/2 cup Cooking Oil
- Apply oil on your hands and knife and peel the outer skin of kathal and chop into small pieces (I used 500 gms peeled jackfruit).
- Pressure cook the jackfruit pieces and seeds with 2.5 glasses of water , 1/2 t.s turmeric and 1/2 t.s salt.
- Drain on a colander and let it cool down, then squeeze gently to remove the extra water.Peel the seeds carefully and chop them into pieces
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, asafoetida, clove powder and grated ginger.saute for a while.Add turmeric and boiled jackfruit and seeds, and fry for few seconds and then add salt.
- Let it cook for 2 minutes on low flame, stir 2-3 times in betweenNow add beaten curd and all the spices.
- Mix well and cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Keep turning the sides in between (Kathal is a very bland vegetable, so you need a little extra of everything – oil, spices and cooking time)
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
- Serving Suggestions – Serve with Roti, Rice or as a side dish.
@Kalyani-Raw jack fruit should be used to make this subzi.
Can ripe fruit be used ? Or raw ??
Only raw.. Ripen fruit is sweet and is eaten as fruit.
Neetu You are right,the ripe fruit is sweet and is eaten as fruit but in North India raw jackfruit is used to make stirfry and curries
@Anonymous-first pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat,then check ,cook for 1 more whistles if required,as it depends on the quality and size of jack fruit pieces,you cam also boil it in a pan till done.
How many whistles do we cook the jackfruit for? Thanks
too good.. mouth watering here
Avika J Chawla says
Its my favorite, urs looks so tempting , we don't find it here in US..:(…m drooling ..
Mouthwatering recipe. The pictures have come out well.
You have got an aromatic blog. The Blog Name is so homely & has warmth in it. Best wishes.
Mira’s Talent Gallery
Vimitha Anand says
Tasty sabzi for chapathis
Anisha Ranjit says
I love jackfruit subzi… actually makes me nostalgoc coz the first time I made this subzi my dad and I cooked together coz my mom was not there and it was so delicious…
Sadaf Afshan says
I have heard of kathal sabzi being delicious but never tried it. Yours looks delicious.
This is really really new to me.Thanks.I too prepare many with jackfruit in kerala ways..This looks terrifically yummy.
wow this looks awesome and yummy! very inviting!
"SYF&HWS – Cook With SPICES" Series
"SYF-HWS" – FENNEL SEEDS (June 5th to July 5th)
"ONLY MANGO" (June 1st to June 30st)
"Dish It Out" – BLACK BEANS and BELL PEPPER (June 1st to June 30st)
"Cooking with Whole Foods" – BROWN RICE (June 10th to Aug 10th)
Spice up the Curry says
looks very delicious. awesome recipe
Meg's Delicious Adventures says
looks very flavorful…new recipe for me.
– Meg's Delicious Adventures
Highly inviting and super flavourful fry.
its my fav sabji.. i love it.. thanks for sharing it 🙂
Kaveri Venkatesh says
Very flavorful and delicious curry
Ez Cookbook says
very nice recipe with jackfruit….
Nice and tasty subzi . well prepared
Gayathri NG says
Looks so spicy n yummy curry…
wow…superb….the clicks of jack fruit….OMG drooling…….yummy curry….
I will be trying this one…looks delicious..;)
Looks yummy..i never know that we can do curry with jackfruit..have to try this once..
Looks superb, should try this sometime..
Love kathal ki sabzi. My grandma used to make it a lot.
looks yummy. love the way you have prepared.
one of my maharashtrian neighbour had made one kathal ka sabzi, i didnt like it much then also but got one at one time and u r right its sticky and i had itching all over my hand for a long time. after that i never used it as no one likes jackfruit in my home. ur dish looks good but i really dont like kathal at all,