Peanut chutney- A tangy delicious roasted peanuts and red chili chutney
Peanut chutney/ Palli chutney is a specialty of Andhra Cuisine. It is a perfect side dish to serve with idli, dosa,vada aur uttappam.
This peanut chutney / palli chutney is made without using coconut. There are times when you don’t have coconut in your pantry and you want to make a delicious side dish to serve with your southern Indian snack or tiffin items.
This Peanut red chili chutney is made with the easily available ingredients in your pantry. Personally I like this chutney more then the the regular coconut chutney.Peanuts are a great source of protein, fiber, minerals are vitamins so a very good recipe for your kids too. This peanut chutney stays well for a week in the refrigerator and stays good for a long in the lunch box as compared to the coconut chutney.
How To make Peanut Chutney/ Palli Chutney
For making peanut chutney the raw peanuts are roasted in little oil on low flame till they are nicely browned. Then let the peanuts cool down a bit before grinding. Be careful while roasting the peanuts as over roasted or raw, both peanuts will not taste good in the chutney
There is no need to remove the skin from the roasted peanuts as the skin is rich in fiber and also gives a nice deep red colour to the chutney.Peanuts are a great source of protein, fiber, minerals are vitamins so a very good recipe for your kids too.
After roasting and removing peanuts roast the kashmiri chilies in the same pan with 1 tsp oil. When the roasted peanuts and the chilies cool down completely then add both in the grinder jar and add tamarind pulp,salt and little water and grind to make a smooth paste. Don’t add too much water while grinding.make it thicker to increase its shelf life. You can dilute a small portion while serving.
Take out the chutney in a bowl . In a small pan make the tempering. Heat oil and add white lentil/ urad daal,mustard seeds,curry leaves and asafoetida. Add the prepared tempering in the prepared chutney.mix and serve with your favorite snack or tiffin. This palli chutney stays well for a week in the refrigerator.
Variation Of Peanut Chutney-
You can add green chilies instead of kashmiri red chilies.
You can add roasted tomato with peanuts to make tomato peanut chutney.
Add fresh coconut with roasted peanuts and red chilies and make coconut peanut chutney.
Add Yogurt and coriander with roasted peanuts and make peanut yogurt dip.
Roast sesame seeds and white lentil and grind with roasted peanuts and tamarind.
Peanut chutney without dried red chilies?
If you don’t have Kashmiri chilies then you can use normal dried red chilies. But if you use Kashmiri chilies then only you will get a nice red color of your chutney. If you don’t have any type of dried whole red chilies then either use fresh green chilies or use red chili powder while grinding the chutney.
You May also like these chutney Recipes-
- Tomato Chutney for Idli Dosa
- Peanut Coconut Chutney
- Red Coconut Chutney
- Ginger Chutney/ Allam Pachdi
- Idli Podi/ Gun Powder
- Dry Coconut Chutney
Peanut Chutney,Palli Chutney
- 1.5 cup Peanuts / Moongphali
- 8 Whole Kashmiri red chilies
- 1.5 inch Tamarind / Imli
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1.5 inch Ginger / Adrak
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- pich Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- 1 tsp White Lentils / Urad ki dal (dhuli)
- 1.5 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- In a small bowl add 1/2 cup water and soak the tamarind , when it become soft ,mash it and discard the seeds and keep aside the pulp.
- Take a wide pan and add 2 tsp oil in the pan and add add the peanuts in the pan and roast for few minutes on low heat till they are roasted well and become slight dark in colour or few start crackling.if you over roast the peanuts then they will taste bitter and if not roasted well then the chutney taste raw.so roast carefully.
- Remove the roasted peanuts from the pan and keep aside.
- Now add 1.5 tsp oil and the whole red chilies in the same pan and roast for few minutes on low heat till they are roasted well and slightly change the colour.
- Let the peanuts and chilies cool down and come to room temperature.
- Add the roasted chilies, peanuts ,tamarind pulp,salt and some water and grind to make a smooth paste.
- Remove the ground chutney in a bowl .
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds , cumin seeds and the white urad daal and let it crackle .
- Now add asafoetida and the curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add the tempering in the chutney and mix well,
- Serve this chutney with idli, dosa,vada or any snack of your choice.