Daal hariyali -Delicious and easy to make restaurant style daal hariyali
Daal hariyali- Pigeon peas /tuvar daal cooked with spinach and mild and fragrant spices. It is much healthier then the normal daal as spinach is added in this. Kids usually don’t like to eat spinach but this curry is so colorful and delicious that even kids will eat this without any fuss.
You add any other green also with spinach to add nutrition and flavor, Little methi with spinach also taste very nice. This daal hariyali pairs well with steamed rice and roti both.
I have also posted these delicious recipes of-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
Daal Hariyali, Lentil with spinach
Pigeon pea cooked with spinach and basic spices
Servings: 4 people
- 3/4 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 200 gm Spinach /palak
- 2 Green chilies/Hari Mirch
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1.5 tbsp Fresh Cream optional
- 2 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
Tempering / tadka
- 2 tsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 2 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 1/3 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 2 dried whole red chilies
- Trim and remove the thick steams of spinach and wash the leaves well
- Wash and soak tuvar/arhar daal(lentil) in water for 1/2 hour.
- Pressure cook lentil with 1.5 cup water for 3 whistles or till done, then mash gently with a whisk.
- Boil 1.5 glass water in a pan ,add 1/2 tsp sugar ,when water start boiling add in the spinach and cook for a minute,or till leaves start wilting.
- Drain and then refresh spinach in cold water,take out 1/3 leaves seperately and chop them and grind the rest with green chilies.
- Heat ghee (clarified butter) in a pan ,add cumin seeds,cardamom (slightly crush to open the mouth) ,cloves ,cinnamon and 2 whole red chilies.
- When cumin start crackling add grated ginger and chopped spinach ,saute for a while .
- Now add boiled and mashed lentil, spinach puree and 1.5 to 2 cup water(according to the thickness you need).
- Add salt,1/4 tsp turmeric and cook for approx. 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add cream and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and butter and serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-best served with boiled rice or with any Indian bread
Perfect Daal,Even I do it sometimes to add greens in the diet .. thanks for linking to the event 🙂
Reshmi Mahesh says
Delicious healthy dal…
Archana Potdar says
wow as usual no onion no garlic. Bookmarked.
yummy and healthy
Thatz what i call comfort food:-) The daal looks soo inviting..
simple , yummy recipe..
Superb recipe. Bookmarked !
Nice. Different from the other palak dal that I have tried. Next one will be this one!
srividhya Ravikumar says
Kalpana Sareesh says
healthy nice green dhal
Meena B says
wonderful color and very flavorful dal
would love to try this
Join my first event — Be My guest
Lovely colour, and looks delicious also.
comforting meal… simple and superb..
Yum! Yum! Yum!
Kaveri Venkatesh says
Nutritious and protein packed dal. Do link it to the event happening at my space:
mmmm…looks so yummy.. i am feeling hungry.
Very healthy greeny dal!!
Join my ongoing EP events-Oregano OR Paprika @ Foodomania
Now Serving says
that is a lovely dal
I saw this recipe on a TV show n noted it long back n totally forgot about it…thanks for the remind, your version sounds simple n delicious..will try it soon!!
I have never added cream to any dal..will try it out next time..
Dal looks yummy.
Shailaja Reddy says
Wow yummy & healthy daal.