Daal hariyali -Delicious and easy to make restaurent style daal hariyali
preparation time-10 min
cooking time-10 min
- Pigeon pea(tuvar daal)-3/4 cup
- Spinach-200 gms
- Green chilies-2
- Grated ginger-1 tsp
- Lemon juice-2 tsp
- Fresh cream-1.5 tbsp
- Butter-2 tsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Turmeric-1/3 tsp
- Ghee (clarified butter)-2 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Green cardamom-2
- Cinnamon-1/2 inch
- Whole red chilies-2
- Trim and remove the thick steams of spinach and wash the leaves well
- Wash and soak tuvar/arhar daal(lentil) in water for 1/2 hour.
- Pressure cook lentil with 1.5 cup water for 3 whistles or till done, then mash gently with a whisk.
- Boil 1.5 glass water in a pan ,add 1/2 tsp sugar ,when water start boiling add in the spinach and cook for a minute,or till leaves start wilting.
- Drain and then refresh spinach in cold water,take out 1/3 leaves seperately and chop them and grind the rest with green chilies.
- Heat ghee (clarified butter) in a pan ,add cumin seeds,cardamom (slightly crush to open the mouth) ,cloves ,cinnamon and 2 whole red chilies.
- When cumin start crackling add grated ginger and chopped spinach ,saute for a while .
- Now add boiled and mashed lentil, spinach puree and 1.5 to 2 cup water(according to the thickness you need).
- Add salt,1/4 tsp turmeric and cook for approx. 3 minutes on medium flame.
- Now add cream and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and butter and serve hot.
Serving suggestions-best served with boiled rice or with any Indian bread