Lauki Mangodi ki sabzi -Bottle gourd cooked with dried lentil nuggets /Vadi – a specialty from Uttar Pradesh
Lauki Mangodi Ki Sabzi- Bottle gourd /lauki/Doodhi / Ghiya is a summer special vegetable and made regularly at most of the houses specially in Uttar Pradesh. Lauki is mild in taste and easy to digest and it helps to cure flatulence and acidity.
It is diuretic in nature and help maintain water level of the body.Very good for heart health and extremely effective in jaundice. Bottle gourd juice helps to control blood pressure and helps reducing body weight.So its advised to use bottlegourd/lauki on everyday basis through out the summer.
Bottle gourd have numerous health benefits but as it is mild and blend in taste so kids often avoid eating this healthy vegetable. lauki is very mild and blend in taste so I have seen many people avoid eating lauki due to this reason ,but there are so many ways to include it in your diet.you can make sweets ,snacks ,curry ,snacks with this healthy humble vegetable.
This lauki mangodi ki sabzi is a simple and delicious summer preparation and quite popular in western U.P. Moong daal ki vadi is used to make this but if you don’t have moong daal mangodi then you can also use crushed urad daal vadis to make this lauki mangodi ki sabzi.
There are so many recipes to make bottle gourd to suit your taste.I have also posted many recipes in my blog you can try from-
- Lauki Tamatar ki sabzi
- Lauki Moong Daal sabzi
- Lauki Kofta Ki Sabzi
- Kashmiri Doodhi Yakhni
- Lauki Ki Kheer
- Lauki Ka Pakoda
- Lauki Ka Halwa
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
lauki mangodi ki sabzi
- 600 gms Bottle Gourd / Lauki
- 3/4 cup Moong daal mangodi
- 1 cup Tomato / Tamatar
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash ,peel and chop the bottle gourd in small pieces.
- Heat ghee in the pressure cooker and add cumin,whole red chili and the mangodi and saute on medium heat till become golden in color.
- Now add green chili ,tomato and asafoetida and the spices- salt,red chili powder,turmeric,coriander powder and mix well.
- Add water to cover the vegetable mix( approx. 1 inch above the level,or you can add more or less water as per your preference)
- Now pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles or till it cooked well and bottle gourd become soft.
- Open the cooker and add chopped ginger and give it a boil.
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix well.
- Serve hot with chapati or jeera rice.
Adding water to lauki to cook?
Lauki is full of water itself, almost like a waremelon.
In northern India, we cook
Lauki in its own juices on low heat. Being a soft veggie, it shouldn’t take long. You don’t want mush but veg keeping its own shape but still well cooked.
Anjana Chaturvedi says
all laukis are not that soft , depends if they are so fresh.the lauki we get here need some water to help releasing its own water
LOVE the presentation! Great food photo, indeed!
Thank You !
Thank you 🙂