Methi Thepla- Delicious and flavorful fenugreek flatbread – a specialty from Gujarat
Methi thepla is a very popular Indian flat bread of India ,a specialty and staple from the state of Gujarat.Fresh chopped fenugreek leaves are mixed with flour and few spices ,kneaded with yogurt and then rolled out to make thin parathas.
They have a great shelf life so also good as a travel food.You need just a bowl of yogurt and little pickle to go with this.
You can also try these stuffed parathas-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook ,Twitter, Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates.
Methi Thepla Recipe
- 2 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1 cup Gram flour/besan
- 1.5 cup Fresh fenugreek/methi chopped
- 1 tsp Green chili/hari mirch finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/3 tsp Red Chili Powder/ Laal Mirch
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1 tsp Salt / Namak
- Take a big bowl and add both the flours and spices,mix well
- Now add oil and rub and mix well in the flour.
- Now add chopped chilies and fenugreek leaves and green chilies and gently mash the mixture.
- Add yogurt and make a medium soft dough. (Add a few tsp of water only if needed, or use some more yogurt)
- Cover the dough and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough ,you can add some dry flour if it become little softer and sticky.
- Make round balls of same size from the dough.
- Dust the balls with dry flour and roll to make medium thick parathas/discs.
- Place the paratha on a hot griddle and lightly cook from both the sides.
- Now apply 1 tsp oil and gently press with a flat spoon and cook till golden spots start appearing on the side.
- Turn the side and repeat the process and cook till it become golden from both the sides.
- Remove the paratha from the griddle and serve hot.
Sundari Nathan says
lovely theplas!! I can almost smell the flavour!! Drool 🙂
@Fathima-they can easily last for 4 days,let them cool down properly before packing and stacking.
The theplaas look very yummy. What procedure and precautions should we take when we take this along as travel food? And how long will it last. Thank you in advance for your reply Ma'am.
My all time fav one looks awesome
love the flavor of methi when combined with wheat.. healthy thepla..
Priya Suresh says
Such a droolworthy and healthy theplas, cant ask more..
Delicious & Flavorful thepla.. Very healthy!
Love your blog! Being a chaturvedi, I also grew in a household where we ate only satvik food. I would love to cook some of your recipies for my mother who still eats only satvik food.
@anonymous-theplas are much thinner then parathas,the preportion of ingredients and cooking method is also slightly different,chopped vegetables or leafy vegetables are added in the dough to make thepla ,not stuffed in like parathas.
awesome and healthy..
"Healthy Recipe Substitution" HRS EVENT Dec 20th to Mar 20th
I would like to know the difference between parantha and thepla .Thanks.
Priya R says
Looks so perfectly made, no wonder from experienced hands 🙂
Love these, very flavorful..
Looks inviting… Delish…
Veena Theagarajan says
so yummy and healthy flat bread
Sanoli Ghosh says
My fav thepla. Looks amazing and perfect. Love the way you presented.
Kaveri Venkatesh says
Love theplas..they are my favorite…your platter looks inviting
Yummy and healthy
Homely and healthy, would love some with achaar!
Vimitha Anand says
Healthy and flavor packed paratha
Win flipkart vouchers from 27coupons.com. Enter now
Wer SAHM says
deliciously made thepla recipe….
Ramya Krishnamurthy says
lovely thepla sis:)
@fellow foodie-thepla is a paratha,in which chopped or grated vegetables are kneaded in the dough (not stuffed),thepla is a speciality of Gujarat.
sowmya(creative saga) says
Nicely presented…looks delicious.l
prathibha Garre says
love this thepla very much…looks very delicious n perfect with pickle,i just love it
Follow Foodie says
What does thepla means
Sangeetha Nambi says
Perfect super delicious !!!