Rava Semiya Idli/ Vermicelli Semolina Idli – soft delicious steamed snack made with roasted vermicelli and semolina
Rava Semiya Idli – Idli is the most popular breakfast /tiffin of southern India, specialty from the state of Karnataka. Though traditional Idli is made with rice and white lentil but it need pre preparation and need some practice and experience to get soft Idli .
I have posted then detailed recipe to make traditional idli with rice and lentil- and to make quick and instant idli you can try this version of rava semiya idli made with with semiya and sooji/ semolina. You can add mix vegetable and roasted vermicelli in the idli batter along with sevai for variation.
Vermicelli and Semolina Idli /Sooji and Sevai ki idli
- 1 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 1 cup Vermicelli / Sevai
- 1 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 2 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp French beans chopped
- 2 tbsp Carrot / Gajar chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- Pinch Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder optional
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- To Taste salt
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp White lentil/urad daal
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1.5 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju chopped
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and add white lentil and saute.When it become pink then add mustard seeds and cashews.
- When seed start crackling then add vermicelli and saute on medium heat for 2 minutes.Now add semolina,green chilies and curry leaves and roast for a minute.
- Switch off the flame,add chopped vegetables and let it cool down completely.
- Now add beaten yogurt,salt and some water and make a medium thick batter
- Cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- Grease idli moulds and boil water in the steamer.When water start boiling then add eno in the batter and fill in the idli moulds
- Steam for 10 minutes in the steamer.Take out ,rest for 2 minutes and scoop out with a wet spoon.
- Serve with coconut chutney and tomato chutney.