Gobhi Gajar shalgum ka achar- A very popular sweet and sour mix vegetable pickle of Delhi and Punjab(India)
Gobhi gajar shalgum ka achar taste best when its fresh so try to make in small batches.
you can watch this video and subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipe videos every week
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gobhi, Gajar aur Shalgum ka Achar / Punjabi Mix Vegetable Pickle
- 600 grams Cauliflower /phool gobhi
- 600 grams Turnip / Shalgum
- 600 grams Carrot / Gajar
- 1/3 cup White Vinegar / Sirka 1 cup
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 Cup Jaggary / Gud * grated
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2.5 tbsp kashmiri Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 150 grams Ginger / Adrak
- 3 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1.5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 2.5 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 250 ml Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel 1 cup
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala (whole) *listed in the notes
- Seperate the florets from cauliflower and peel and chop turnip and carrots in baton shape.*
- Grind garam masala ( 2 black cardamom,6 small cardamom,1.5 t.s black pepper,1/2 t.s cloves,2 tbs.s cumin,1/2 t.s cinnamon OR use readymade garam masala. ) fenugreek seeds ,fennel and mustard seeds coarsely,and peel and grate the ginger.
- Boil enough water in a pan,add 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tbls salt add cauliflower florets and boil for 1 minute ,
- Now add turnip and carrots and boil for one more minute.drain and spread on a towel to absorb the moisture.
- Keep in sunlight for atleast 4-5 hours,or,till all the extra moisture dries up completely.(this step is important as moisture can spoil the pickle)
- Heat vinegar in a separate pan,when it start boiling add crushed jaggery,and stir and mix,cook till jaggary dissolves completely
- Take mustard oil in a pan and heat very well.remove pan from heat and then let it cool down slightly.
- Then add grated ginger, fry for few seconds and then add asafoetida ,red chili powder, turmeric, salt and all the spices and stir-fry for a minute on low heat.
- Now add the vinegar and jaggery mix and let it boil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetables in this pan and mix well till vegetables get well coated with masala.
- Let it cool a bit and then cover with a lid and let it rest for a day.(the pickle should be covered with the syrup )
- Next day Transfer the pickle in a sterlized jar ,cover and keep in sunlight for 3 days if possible.
- Now your pickle is ready to eat. Enjoy!