Sarson Ka Saag -Mustard green cooked with mild spices
Sarson Ka saag is a very popular winter specialty from the state of Punjab and now very popular all over India. It is a seasonal delicacy and best enjoyed with Makki ki Roti ,white makkhan and buttermilk during winters.
As I am from U.P and in my childhood sarson ka saag was not that popular in my city so never got a chance to relish this dish though I have heard a lot about it. After Marriage when I shifted to Dubai luckily my next door neighbor was a Punjabi sardar lady who happens to be a great cook and a nice soul .
So after few days of my arrival she sent a huge bowl of sarson da saag and stack of makki ki rotis for us. I thanked her for the delicious food and immediately took the recipe. Ever since saag is my favorite winter delicacy and I always make it few times during the winter season.
Though the recipe of making Sarson da saag is quite easy and simple but the process is little lengthy as it takes quite some time to clean the greens and then washing them properly in lots of water is a must .Then the rest of the work is done by the pressure cooker :).
Though the name is saag but few other seasonal greens are also added in the saag. I add bathua and palak along with saag but if bathua is not available then you can add some Fresh methi leaves. I add a medium size turnip to give little sweetness and body to the saag.
Traditionally lots of ghee and butter is added in this saag but you can adjust according to your taste. Serve this delicious healthy Saag with Lots of butter , some jaggary, Gobhi shalgum ka achar, Golpapadi , Makki ki Roti or Missi Roti and a tall glass of buttermilk and Enjoy winters !!!
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Sarson Ka Saag Recipe, How To Make Sarson Ka Saag
- 1 kg Mustard Greens / Sarson ka saag
- 350 gm Chenopodium /Bathua
- 250 gm Spinach /palak
- 1 medium Turnip / Shalgum
- 4 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 2 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 2 Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 3 tbsp Maize Flour / Makki Ka Atta
- 3 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- To taste Salt / Namak
- First of all chop off the hard stems from Mustard greens, bathua and spinach,no need to remove the soft tender stems.
- Wash the greens in enough water 2-3 times to remove all the mud and dirt.
- Chop the greens roughly and peel the turnip and chop into small pieces.
- In the pressure cooker add all the chopped greens, green chilies ,turnip and half quantity of chopped ginger along with 1.5 glass of water.
- Close the lid and Pressure cook on medium heat for about 7-8 whistles.
- Then let it cool down and then open the pressure cooker.
- Now blend it with a hand blender and make a coarse puree. Don't make it into a smooth or fine paste.
- Now sprinkle the maize flour on the greens ,add 1 tsp at a time and then mix with a spoon. if you add all the maize flour together then it become lumpy.so add little,mix and repeat.
- In rural areas and villages they use a wooden mathani to blend the saag and it was coarse in texture.you can also blend it with a wooden whisk/mathani if you can.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee and 2 tbsps of butter in a pan and add grated ginger, chopped tomato and salt and cook till tomato become soft and mushy.
- Now add this tomato mixture to the Sarson saag and mix.
- Cover the cooker with a plate and simmer for about 15 -20 minutes so the maize flour also get cooked else it may taste raw.
- When you want to serve the saag then make this tadka as a garnish- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a small pan and add cumin and asafoetida. when it start crackling remove from the heat and add red chili powder and pour over the sarso the saag.
- Serve garam garam Sarson ka saag with makki ki roti ,salad ,pickle and buttermilk and off course with a dollop of butter on Top !!