- Add 1 tbls of fruit jam in a glass of cold milk,blend well and a quick delicious fruit shake is ready for kids
- Add 2 tbls pickle masala, 2 tbls pickle oil and a pinch of salt in a cup of wheat flour to make delicious achari poori’s for breakfast and as a travel food.
- Add 1 tbls left over pickle masala in regular subzi to make achari aloo,achari bhindi and achari brinjal or any dry curry of your choice..
- Add kiwi fruit,green apple,oranges,berries or any sour or over ripe fruit to make coriander chutney more nutritious.
- While making coriander chutney add few nuts of your choice to make it more nutritious and to increase its shelf life.
- If you have added too much chilli powder in a gravy then add some curd ,lemon juice or 2 .t.s ghee in it to balance it.
- If your gulab jamuns turn out hard ,don’t worry,just put them in the pressure cooker with sugar -syrup and cook for 5 minute on medium heat and then serve warm with a smile.
- While making home made potato chips,mix some alum powder in the water and soak the chips in it,before boiling.
- While grinding red chili powder add little mustard oil in it to get a bright red colour.
- Its much easier to grind small cardamom if you add some sugar to it while grinding.
- Add 1 tbls gram flour in semolina for making delicious sooji halwa .
- While making gravy for a kofta or paneer dish ,use milk instead of water for smoother gravy
- If asafoetida become too hard then keep a green chilli with it.
- If you are short of tomatoes to make gravy, then add some tomato ketchup.
- Add little bounvita in coffee for a delicious twist in the taste.
- Grease the leftover dough with slight oil or ghee before covering and storing it in the refrigerator.
- Add little glycerine in the cake batter to make it more soft and moist.
- Add some routine spices and a bread in leftover rice ,mash the mixture well and make crispy fritters.
- After making cottage cheese/paneer don’t throw the whey, use it the to make roti dough or use in any curry.
- Add a pinch of dried mint powder in tomato soup to make it more flavourful.
- Add a apple with potatoes ,they will stay fresh and will not sprout easily.
- If facing difficulty in rolling aloo parantha,,then add add some dry roasted gram flour or little bread crumbs in the filling,it will not come out while rolling.
- Try to add whole curry leaf spring in the dish,it will be easy to remove after cooking.
- Use scissor to chop green chillies and coriander.
- While boiling potatoes add some salt or vinegar in the water, to avoid cracking while boiling.
- Use white tooth powder to clean your silvarware and silvar jewellary.
- If you have added extra salt in the dish,don’t worry just add a peeled raw potato or a ball of wheta flour dough and boil for a minute,then discard the potato or flour ball.
- If your rice are burned,don’t worry just put a slice of bread in the pan for 10 minute,bread will absorb the burned flavour.
- Freeze left over coffee in ice try and next time when you make cold coffee ,use these cubes instead of plain ice cubes
- To remove worms from cauliflower ,add some white vinegar or turmeric in the water and soak the florets in it for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 t.s white vinegar in idli batter to make softer idlis.
- Add some gram flour or semolina in wheat flour to make crisp poori’s.
- To enhance the flavour of coffee ,add a pinch of salt into it.
Tips for household maintenance:
- Stains from your crockery or melamine ware-add 2 caps of bleach/clorex in 2 lit water and soak your crockery overnight.
stains from inside the pressure cooker-add some vinegar or lemon peels
in 2 cup water and pressure cook for 2 whistle and scrub well.
- Remove oil paint stains- rub with white spirit.
- Remove carbon paper stains- with spirit.
- Remove fungus stains from leather -first rub with candle wax and then wipe with soft cloth.
- Ink stains from leather -use nail polish remover and clean
- Clean suede shoes and bags -rub them with sandpaper.
- Remove stains from your aluminium pans-just boil some apple peels in it.
- Remove stains from your carpet by contacting carpet cleaners from companies like Technique Carpets & Floors.
- Remove grease from gas stove or pan -apply oven cleaner or paint thinner and wash easily afterwards .
- Remove mould from the walls-mix 1 cup of bleach in a gallon of water and scrub well then wash well with water.
- To open the cloged gas stove burners-soak overnight in soda aur drain opener solution.
- To remove wax from cloth and sheets -put them in the frezzer and peel off when becom hard.
- To remove sticker-use a hair dryer for few minutes ,and then peel off the sticker.
remove the calcium build up from your electric kettle- just boil a
mixture of half vinegar and half water and then wash off.
- Pour your leftover cola drink in the toilet bowl to make it cleaner
Smell / Odour removal:
- To remove the smell of kitchen sponge , soak it in water with a little white vinegar or lemon juice , then heat in microwave for 1 minute.
- Keep a small open box of baking powder in the refrigerator to absorb all smells.
- To remove the smell from the tharmas flask -wash it with salted buttermilk.OR wash with water and baking soda mixture.
- Light a candle in the room to get rid of cigarette odour from the room.
- To remove the carpet odour -take a box of baking soda and spread on the floor for some time and then remove.
- Stinky sink-mix equal quantity of bleach and hot water and pour in the sink,pour hot water after 5 minutes,
- Add few drops of your old and expired perfume in the water ,for moping your room flour.
- Urine and bacteria smell in carpet-mix 1 part vinegar and 3 part water and rub it on the carpet.rinse it with water after an hour and sun dry.
Keeping flowers fresh –
- Flowers stays fresher in copper flower vase.
- Add aspirin tablet or copper coin in flowerpot ,will stays fresh longer.
- Add little boric powder in carnation flowers,will stays fresh longer.
- Soak dried coconut husk in water and add in moneyplant pot.
- Use the water from your fish tank to water your plants,as the fish dropping will work as a great fertilizer
- Ants-Add few cloves in sugar container to avoid ant attack.
- To discourage ants ,sprinkle some cigareete ash or petroleum jelly near their opening/colonies.
- Keep a spray bottle with soapy water handy and spray the ants with it.
- Sprinkle some turmeric or chalk powder near ant colonies. If you can’t get rid of them, contact https://www.pestcontrolexperts.com/ to help you out.
small balls from boric powder,sugar and flour and keep in the cupboard
and kitchen corners to avoid cockroches.
- Spray soapy water directly on coackroaches to kill them.
- Dust mites-vaccum your mattresses and pillows regularly (with a Bissell vacuum if you want good results).
- Dust bedding with tannic acid powder to remove dust mites.
- Get a new queen mattress every 8 or so years for hygiene and comfort.
- Mosquitos-burning camphor is a good mosquito repellent.
- Put some neem oil on a used mosquito repellent mat and use,neem oil is a natural and effective repellent.
- Plant some merigild around your house,insects and mosquitos don’t like its fragrance and stay off.
- Flies-put few drops of eucalyptus oil in a cotton ball and keep in every room.
- Keep small sachets of dried mint powder around your house.
- Use the water from your fish tank to water your plants,as the fish dropping will work as a great fertilizer.
Wonder full Tips….
Thanx for sharing this tips with us..
great tips thankyou
Smrithi Swaminathan says
I loved these tips so much! It almost felt like having a conversation with my grandmother and great grand mother.
thank you Smrithi 🙂
Thank you so much Smrithi ,I am honored !
Simal kaur says
Does glycrine in cake batter really works?? Plz reply
Abha Chaturvedi says
I came across your Blog recently and find it of much use to me as your recipes match the taste buds of my family.
In your tips you have mentioned of using glycerine to make the cakes softer, is it the regular glycerine that we get in the market.
Thanks and Happy cooking.
Hello Abha,thanks !
use regular food grade Glycerine
Nice collection of tips.
Payal Jain says
Anjana maam ,I am so glad to stumbled upon your website MAYEEKA
Good Work and I am learning a lot exploring it.
I love the new look Maayeka! I adore Indian cooking and have always found your Blog to be very inspiring and offering simple do-able recipe ideas for non-Indians like me who can’t get enough of delicious Authentic Indian recipes.
I really appreciate the list of tips and would like to ask if you could turn it into a printable for me to keep in my binder. Thank you!
Sunita Magadum says
Thanks for the amazing tips!! Will surely try for some to get rid of cockroaches 🙂
There is another tip as well, to remove stain from your silk saree, just sprinkle talcum powder generously over the stain and fold it n keep it , next time when you remove ur saree from the cupboard after a month or so, the stain would vanish – Josephine
I have another oven cleaning tip that I learn't earlier that you may find useful –
Get a spray bottle and add distilled water, 1 spoon castile soap, 10 drops tea tree or lemon essential oil.
Spray on the inside of the oven and leave for a good 15 minutes. You will find this really loosens up the toughest oven grease!
Bella India says
Fantastic tips… Keep it up!.
thanks for the amazing tips
awesome tips !!i have just read a few…:)will read more..