Nadru yakhni- Lotus stems cooked with mild aromatic spices and yoghurt-A specialty of Kashmir(India)
To boil with-
- Lotus steams-2 cup
- Slit green chilies-4
- Green cardamom-2
- Black cardamom-2
- Cinnamon-1/2 inch
- Fennel powder(saunf)-1/4 tsp
- Shah jeera/cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
- Yoghurt-2 cup
- Gram flour/besan-1 tsp(optional)
- Fennel powder-1/2 tsp
- Ginger powder (saunth)-1/2 tsp
- Cardamom powder-1/3 tsp
- Turmeric-1/3 tsp*
- Fresh coriander-2tbsp
- Ghee(clarified butter)-2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
- Wash and scrape the lotus steams and then slice them thinly.
- Soak them in luke warm water for 20 minute to loosen any mud and dirt inside the holes and then wash well.
- Take 1 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker and add the sliced lotus steams and whole green and black cardamom,cloves,shah jeera,cinnamom,and fennel powder(all the ingredients listed in -to boil)
- Add 2.5 cup water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on medium heat or till cooked properly and become soft.
- In a bowl beat the yoghurt and 1 tsp gram flour(optional),and then add in the pressure cooker
- Mix 1/2 cup water,salt ,turmeric, ginger powder,cardamom powder,1/2 tsp fennel powder,mix and add in the cooker.
- Now cook the curry on low heat for 20 minutes (without puting the cooker lid),keep stirring to avoid curdling.
- Heat ghee in a small pan,add cumin and asafoetida ,
- When start crackling add kashmiri chili powder and immediately pour over the boiling gravy.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.
Addition of turmeric is optional,if you want a white gravy then omit it.
Serving suggestions-best serves with boiled rice and naan