Nadru Yakhni- Lotus stems cooked with mild aromatic spices and yogurt
Nadu Yakhni is a very popular recipe from Kashmir. Lotus stems are called nadru in Kashmir. It is a very traditional recipe of Kshmiri Pandit community.
Nadru yakhni is a very simple curry made with flavourful spices/ garam masala and fresh yogurt. Addition of turmeric is optional.
This curry is made without any onion,garlic, gram flour ,cashew etc. I have added 1 tsp gramflour to avoid curdling of yogurt but it is optional.
This nadru yakhni taste awesome with steamed rice or jeers rice. naan or any Indian bread of your choice. Try to use tender fresh lotus stems to make this as tinned or mature lotus stems not taste that good in this Nadru yakhni.
Do try these Delicious Kashmiri Recipes-
- Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Kashmiri Dahi Baigan
- Apple and Mango Chutney
- Mooli Akhrot Raita
- Doodhi Yakhni
- Bom Chount
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
To Boil Together
- 2 cup Lotus Stem/ Kamal kakdi sliced
- 4 Green chilies Slit
- 2 Green cardamom
- 2 Black cardamom
- 4 Cloves/ Lavang
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon/ Daalchini
- 1/4 tsp Fennel/ saunf powder
- 1/4 tsp Shah Jeera
For the Gravy
- 2 cup Yogurt/ Dahi
- 1 tsp Gram Flour optional
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder/ Saunth
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder/ Saunf
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom powder/ Elaichi powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric optional
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Hara dhaniya
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- Wash and scrape the lotus steams and then slice them thinly.
- Soak them in luke warm water for 20 minute to loosen any mud and dirt inside the holes and then wash well.
- Take 1 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker and add the sliced lotus steams and whole green and black cardamom,cloves,shah jeera,cinnamom,and fennel powder(all the ingredients listed in -to boil)
- Add 2.5 cup water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on medium heat or till cooked properly and become soft.
- In a bowl beat the yoghurt and 1 tsp gram flour(optional),and then add in the pressure cooker
- Mix 1/2 cup water,salt ,turmeric, ginger powder,cardamom powder,1/2 tsp fennel powder,mix and add in the cooker.
- Now cook the curry on low heat for 20 minutes (without puting the cooker lid),keep stirring to avoid curdling.
- Heat ghee in a small pan,add cumin and asafoetida ,When start crackling add kashmiri chili powder and immediately pour over the boiling gravy.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice,naan or roti's.
Addition of turmeric is optional,if you want a white gravy then omit it.
I made it. My family loved it . It was very delicious and rich.. Thank you for the recipe.
Anjana Chaturvedi says
Thank you Sunitha, glad you enjoyed the dish !
Anjana Chaturvedi says
Before bottling it , at the final stage
I gave this recipe to my mom and we had this delectable dish for dinner. We simply loved it!! Thank you for sharing this with us all.
Thank you Mukul !Glad you all enjoyed it 🙂
Nadru with palak…My fav vegie
Divya Ganesh says
Exactly what I was looking for. Thankyou.
Lakshmi @Purevegetarian says
It looks tantalizing!
Reshmi Mahesh says
I have never cooked with lotus stem…have seen this in Indian stores…will try this curry sometime as it looks delicious..
I did make this and it was awesome. Everyone loved this recipe! Thanks to you…
Nayana Shetti says
Deliciously cooked lotus stem curry!! something very different
Aruna Manikandan says
looks healthy and delicious 🙂
unique & delicious:)
Join my ongoing EP events-Asafoetida OR Fennel seeds @ Divya's Culinary Journey
Suja Manoj says
Never tried this before,unique recipe
Teena Mary says
wow love this creamy & delicious looking curry!!
Santanu Debnath says
Nice recipe, first time heard about such recipes….liked it.
I blog @ http://www.getaheadindia.in
Divya Pramil says
Looks like a creamy curry if someone said it was kofta curry I would have believed 🙂 Yum!!
SNC – 1 Results
Treatntrick Treat and Trick says
This looks awesome and so yum!
OMG…this is so delicious…i'm drooling….
Meena B says
wow i never made anything with lotus stem like this
i bet its delicious
mostly sindhis r fond of lotus stem a lot
adirasam– a sweet
I had been to Kashmir in 2005 and this was the first dish I ate there. You bought back so many memories, thank you so much for sharing this recipe, back then I only loved to eat never thought of cooking, so dint bother to ask for the recipe. I have booked marked this recipe and will try it when I find some lotus stems here in Bangalore!
I can get some for you once I visit my home town?
Faseela Noushad says
Vijayalakshmi Dharmaraj says
its new to me…
Today's Recipe – Baked Idli without Idli Pan
VIRUNTHU UNNA VAANGA
So aromatic and flavorful.. Looks delicious..
we dont get lotus stem in chennai.. it looks rich and delicious curry..