Nadru Yakhni- Lotus stems cooked with mild aromatic spices and yogurt
Nadu Yakhni is a very popular recipe from Kashmir. Lotus stems are called nadru in Kashmir. It is a very traditional recipe of Kshmiri Pandit community.
Nadru yakhni is a very simple curry made with flavourful spices/ garam masala and fresh yogurt. Addition of turmeric is optional.
This curry is made without any onion,garlic, gram flour ,cashew etc. I have added 1 tsp gramflour to avoid curdling of yogurt but it is optional.
This nadru yakhni taste awesome with steamed rice or jeers rice. naan or any Indian bread of your choice. Try to use tender fresh lotus stems to make this as tinned or mature lotus stems not taste that good in this Nadru yakhni.
Do try these Delicious Kashmiri Recipes-
- Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- Kashmiri Dahi Baigan
- Apple and Mango Chutney
- Mooli Akhrot Raita
- Doodhi Yakhni
- Bom Chount
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
To Boil Together
- 2 cup Lotus Stem/ Kamal kakdi sliced
- 4 Green chilies Slit
- 2 Green cardamom
- 2 Black cardamom
- 4 Cloves/ Lavang
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon/ Daalchini
- 1/4 tsp Fennel/ saunf powder
- 1/4 tsp Shah Jeera
For the Gravy
- 2 cup Yogurt/ Dahi
- 1 tsp Gram Flour optional
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder/ Saunth
- 1/2 tsp Fennel Powder/ Saunf
- 1/3 tsp Cardamom powder/ Elaichi powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric optional
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander/ Hara dhaniya
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida/ hing
- Wash and scrape the lotus steams and then slice them thinly.
- Soak them in luke warm water for 20 minute to loosen any mud and dirt inside the holes and then wash well.
- Take 1 tsp ghee in a pressure cooker and add the sliced lotus steams and whole green and black cardamom,cloves,shah jeera,cinnamom,and fennel powder(all the ingredients listed in -to boil)
- Add 2.5 cup water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles on medium heat or till cooked properly and become soft.
- In a bowl beat the yoghurt and 1 tsp gram flour(optional),and then add in the pressure cooker
- Mix 1/2 cup water,salt ,turmeric, ginger powder,cardamom powder,1/2 tsp fennel powder,mix and add in the cooker.
- Now cook the curry on low heat for 20 minutes (without puting the cooker lid),keep stirring to avoid curdling.
- Heat ghee in a small pan,add cumin and asafoetida ,When start crackling add kashmiri chili powder and immediately pour over the boiling gravy.
- Cook for 2 minutes and add chopped fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with steamed rice,naan or roti's.
Addition of turmeric is optional,if you want a white gravy then omit it.