Kashmiri dahi baigan- brinjals cooked in flavourful and delicious yogurt sauce
kashmiri dahi baigan- Kashmiri dishes are famous for the use of flavourful spices ,though the process and ingredients are quite simple but the selection of spices and herbs make them so delicious and distinct from other cuisine .
In kashmiri cuisine whole spices, nuts, saffron, yogurt and a good amount of oil and ghee is used which makes the food rich and flavorful. Fennel powder,ginger powder, saffron and cardamom are used in almost all the dishes.
To make kashmiri dahi baigan you have to deep fry the brinjals first ,you can either chop them in cubes or cut lengthwise then the fried brinjals are added in the yogurt mixture and simmered for about 5 minutes.
You can fry the brinjals before and make the curry when ever you want to serve .This kashmiri dahi baigan recipe is quite easy and quick but taste so delicious.
I love kashmiri food as it is easy to make and the flavour and taste is liked by everyone in my family.I often make-kashmiri – Chokh vangun , Doodhi yakhni ,the very popular- Kashmiri dum aloo , Apple and raw mango chutney and many other recipes.Try this kashmiri dahi baigan recipe ,you will surely love it.
Do try these brinjal delicious recipes-
Kashmiri Dahi Baigan Recipe
- 500 gm Brinjals / Baingan
- 2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf coarsely crushed
- 1.5 tsp Ginger Powder / Saunth
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1.5 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 3 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- 2 tbsp Water / Paani
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder (optional)
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Wash and wipe brinjals and chop into medium size cubes
- Heat oil in a broad pan and deep fry the brinjal cubes on medium heat
- Fry till they become golden in colour .
- Drain the fried brinjals on a paper napkin to absorb the extra oil.
- In a heavy and wide cooking pan add mustard oil.
- Mix all the dry spices with 2 tbsp water and keep aside.
- Add green cardamom and asafoetida in the hot oil and when cardamom start crackling add the spice mixture in it.
- Give it a stir,remove the pan from the stove and then add the whisked yogurt
- After few seconds put the pan on the stove on medium heat and Keep stirring continuously to avoid curdling.
- When it start boiling then add the fried brinjal pieces.
- Cook on medium heat for abour 5-6 minutes.
- When it start to thicken and brinjal pieces become soft then its done.
- Serve hot with roti or steamed rice
Rupini Samanta says
Hi auntie.. I was stirring the yogurt waiting for it to boil, on medium heat, and i thought to add some ghee.. then immediately it curdled. PLease share your tips on keeping yogurt from curdling.. thanks
Hi Rupini..the yogurt should be beaten properly before adding and then stir continuously till it start boiling. Remove the pan from the stove while adding the yogurt.Hope it helps:)
I looked at the recipe and knew it would work. I have 8 of your other recipes from this site and I have been so v v v happy with it because my family have enjoyed it and so too our friends. So I made this last night for a visitor and it was a winner!
All praises to you!
Amazing shot.. One of my fav with rice or roti