Poori Bhaji is a very popular breakfast/brunch dish in India. Every state have its own special recipe of making Potato bhaji depend – Some prefer to make it dry, some make it semi dry and some make it a thin watery broth.
Today I am sharing the special Kathiyawadi style of making Poori Bhaji – Gujarati style Bataka bhaji (without onion, garlic and tomatoes) – which can be served with Pooris as Poori Bhaji or can also be served as a side dish with parathas or rotis. This sweet and sour potato curry is served with hot and Crisp Pooris and Gajar Mirchi ka Sambharo.
If you are in Dubai – do try this at Ashok Restaurant – a low key, hole in the wall eatery run in Meena Bazaar, Bur Dubai. This is a signature dish of Ashok Maharaj, who has been running this restaurant for more than 20 years now and we’ve lost count of how many times have ordered poori bhaji from there.
Prep time – 10 min
Cooking time -15 min
Cuisine – Indian,Gujarati
Type – breakfast,brunch
Serve – 4
Bateta nu Shaak-
- Potatoes – 4 medium (500 gms)
- Tamarind pulp /Imli- 2 tbsp
- Jaggery/Gur – 2 tbsp
- Turmeric/Haldi – 1tsp
- Kashmiri Chili Powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder/Dhaniya – 1tsp
- Ginger grated/Adrak – 1 tsp
- Green chilies, slit lengthwise – 3
- Fresh Coriander – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – 3-4 cup
- Cooking Oil – 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds /Rai- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi dana -1/3 tsp
- Urad daal/White Lentils -1 tbsp
- Whole red chilies – 3
- Asafoetida /hing- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves/Laung – 2
- Cinnamon /Dalchini- 1/2 inch
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf/Tej patta- 1
- Wash and peel potatoes (peeling is optional, you can also use potato with the skin ).
- Chop potatoes into small pieces, like we chop for making poha.
- Heat oil in the pressure cooker and then add mustard, fenugreek and urad daal.
- When urad daal become golden then add cloves, cinnamon, curry leaves and sugar.
- Let the sugar melts,then add the potato pieces, ginger and green chilies and saute for few seconds.
- Add chili powder, turmeric and coriander and saute for few seconds.
- Add water and pressure cook on medium heat for 1 whistle.
- When cooker cool down then open it and slightely mash it if needed.
- Now add jaggery and tamarind pulp and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fresh coriander and serve.
- Wheat flour/Atta-1.5 cup
- Semolina /Sooji -1/2 cup
- Cooking oil -2.5 tbsp + to fry
- Salt- to taste
- In a big bowl add wheat flour,semolina,salt and cooking oil.
- Mix well and add just enough water to make a stiff dough.
- Cover and rest for 20 minutes.
- Now knead the dough to make it smooth and pliable.
- Make small and smooth balls from the dough .
- Apply some oil on the balls or dust them with dry flour .
- With the help of rolling pin make small and medium thick discs/pooris.
- Heat enough oil in a pan and deep fry the pooris on medium heat from both the sides.
- When the pooris become golden in colour, take out from the pan and drain on a paper napkin.
- Serve hot with Bateka bhaaji and Gajar Mirch Sambharo.