Kaddu Ki Sabzi /khatta meetha kaddu-A delicious sweet and sour yellow pumpkin curry
Kaddu Ki sabzi, Khatta Meetha kaddu – Yellow pumpkin / sitaphal/ Kashiphal/ petha/ kaddu/ bhopla is a not a popular vegetable due to its blend taste .I have seen kids often dislike this curry .But this yellow pumpkin is highly nutritious – rich in potassium, phosphorus,vitamins,minerals . Is also high in dietary fiber and high Antioxidant level and beta carotene. The seeds of pumpkin are also edible and are full of nutrients .So do not throw away the seeds, sun dry or roast with little salt and snack when ever you wish.
Making Kaddu ki khatti meethi sabzi is quite easy and simple .You Just have to adjust the khatta meetha flavors to make it tempting and delicious. As yellow pumpkin / kaddu is quite blend in taste so addition of some sugar and some kind of souring agent is needed to make it tangy and delicious. The recipe I am sharing today is also very popular in the Bhandara’s so people often refer this as Bhandare wali kaddu ki sabzi.
How To Make Kaddu ki Sabzi, khatta Meetha kaddu Bhandara wala
Wash and chop pumpkin (with the green peel )into medium size pieces . Heat mustard oil and add the tempering and then add turmeric powder and the chopped pumpkin pieces, salt ,chopped green chili and 3 tbsp water .Cover and cook on low heat till almost done.Now add ginger ,coriander powder,mango powder, sugar and red chili powder. Mix gently and again cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add fresh coriander and serve with poori ,kachori ,paratha’s or roti and rice.
- To make this kaddu ki sabzi select pumpkin with green tender peel as the peel gives a nice taste,texture and look to the kaddu ki sabzi.
- Tempering- Give tempering/tadka of – saunf/ Fennel, Methidana/ Fenugreek seeds, Rai /Mustard seeds, no need to add whole or powdered garam masala in it. Traditionally Mustard oil is used but you can use the oil which you are using regularly.
- Add sugar or jaggary in it when sabzi is almost done, if you add when it is half done then it will take time to become soft.
- For sourness ,you can add – chopped fresh raw mango, dried mango powder / amchoor or tamarind pulp
- Don’t mash it while adding spices and sugar,mix gently so the pieces will not break else it become mushy in texture.
You can also try these delicious Pumpkin Recipes-
- Pumpkin Masala Poori
- Khatta Meetha Kaddu-U.P style
- Kaddu Ka Ambal- Kashmiri Style
- Pumpkin Raita
- Pumpkin Fritters
You can subscribe to My You tube channel – Maayeka for more such delicious Recipes
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
kaddu ki Sabzi, khatta Meetha Kaddu- Bhandare wala
- 1 kg Yellow pumpkin/ kaddu/sitaphal
- 3 Green chili/ hari mirch
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 5 tbsp Sugar or Jaggary
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder/ Dhaniya Powder
- 3.5 tbsp Mango powder/ Amchoor or Raw Mango *
- 1.5 tbsp Red chili powder/ Laal Mirch Powder
- To Taste Salt
Tempering/ Tadka/ Waghar
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds/ methi dana
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds/ rai dana
- 3/4 tsp Fennel seeds/ saunf
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida/ Hing
- 2 Whole red chili/ Sabut Laal Mirch
- Wash kaddu and remove the seeds and then chop into medium size pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and add all the seeds of tempering .
- When they start crackling then after few seconds add asafoetida and the whole red chilies.
- Now add turmeric, chopped pumpkin,green chilies and salt ,mix well.
- Add about 2-3 tbsp water and mix. Now cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat.
- It may take about 10-15 minutes to cook completely.
- When pumpkin become soft then add red chili powder, coriander powder, mango powder, chopped ginger and sugar and mix gently.
- Again cover with a lid and simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Now add chopped fresh coriander and serve hot.
- Serving suggestions- serve with poori, paratha, bedmi, or roti and rice.