Methi Dana Chutney/ Fenugreek seed Chutney -Healthy and delicious Chutney made with fenugreek seeds ,jaggary and few basic spices- Specialty From Rajasthan
Methi dana chutney / methi ki lunji is a very popular chutney /pickle from Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.It is usually made during winter and to serve as side dish or chutney . Most of the small food joints or halwai serve this chutney with Aloo ki sabzi and Khasta kachoris which taste awesome.It is also popular as kachori wali chutney in U.P.
This Methi Dana chutney is made in two ways -Sweet and sour or salty with just little sugar but I love this sweet and tangy version the most .Adding sugar not only enhance the taste but also increase its shelf life . It easily stays well for an year at room temperature ,no need for refrigeration. It goes very well as a side dish or chutney with almost all the snacks ,rice or any Indian bread.
Methi have numerous health benefits. It helps to lower cholesterol so reduces risk of heart diseases. Very good for diabetic patients as it regulates blood sugar levels.Helps in digestion and good to cure gastric trouble and indigestion. Methi is also good for lactating mothers .
It is also advised to eat some soaked methi seeds if you have arthritis and joint pain.so many heath benefits in this wonderful tiny seeds .
Though it is very healthy but it taste bitter so it is not easy to consume it directly. So It is a better idea to try and make different types of stir fry, pickle and chutneys with methi dana and consume daily in small quantity. I often make Methi dana sprouts and make different stir fry and sabzi with the sprouted seeds.
This quick and simple Methi sprouts and aloo ki sabzi is easy to make and taste delicious . In winters I make this healthy-Sprouted dana methi ki sabzi which stays well for a week in the refrigerator and you can have 2 tbsp of this healthy stir fry with your meal.
I have made this chutney with sprouted Methi seeds as sprouting makes the seeds less bitter but you can also make it without sprouting .Taste great both ways.
You can also try these delicious chutney’s-
- Aam Papad Chutney
- Methi Dana Chutney
- Apple Chutney
- Mixed Fruit Chutney
- Tangy Plum Chutney
- Kiwi Mint Chutney
- Ginger Chutney
- Amchoor ki chutney
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Instagram and You Tube for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Methi Ki Launji / Fenugreek Seed Pickle
- 1/2 cup Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 3/4 cup Jaggary / Gud
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 4 tbsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 2 tbsp Chaat Masala
- 1.5 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/4 cup Raisins / Kishmish
- 10 Dates / Khajoor
- Soak fenugreek/methi seeds in water for around 5 hours then drain the water.
- Now rinse with fresh water and drain the water completely .
- Take the seeds in a bowl and cover the bowl with a muslin cloth for 2 day to sprout them.
- When seeds are sprouted then wash them again and pressure cook with 1.5 glass of water for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- Drain the water and wash the boiled seeds with fresh water.(instead of boiling you can steam the seeds )
- Soak the dry dates in water for 4 hours ,remove the seeds and slice them thinly and if you are using fresh soft dates then chop them and add directly.
- Heat oil in pan and add cumin and fennel seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add boiled fenugreek seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Now add all the spices,sugar,jaggary,raisins and dates in the pan,mix well.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes or till gravy thickens.
- Store in a glass jar when cool down completely.
- You may substitute mango powder with thick tamarind pulp.
- I have sprouted the methi seeds for making this chutney but traditionally this is made with soaked fenugreek seeds so you can also make this without sprouting the seeds.
- You can adjust the quantity of sugar and jaggary according to your preference and then keep it refrigerated.
- I have used a mix of sugar and jaggary but you can add only sugar or jaggary .
Tanuja Nadkarni says
Lovely blog and this recipe looks delicious. love Methi seeds and am going to make this. Thanks!
Absolutely wonderful recipe, bookmarked it
Madam I prepared meethi ki launji as per your instructions. It was wonderful!
Shobha Keshwani says
Very nice recipe.. I will surely try it out .. bookmarking it Anjana.
Thank you Shobha 🙂
khajoor and dates are same thing,I have used dry dates but you can also use fresh dates/khajoor to make this or can also skip dates
lavina agarwal says
Hello anjanaji.. can I use dates instead of khajoor..
Thank you anjana 🙂
@Anonymous-you may have over cooked it.cook on low flame till it start becoming thick,now you can either add some oil or add some hot water and simmer for few minutes.
hi, i made this today. the pickle kind of dried out a bit, but tastes good. can i do something to remove the dryness? add oil?
rekha kamat says
today i made it. it looks very nice.
wow..so good n falvorful,Yummy!!!
Participate & win e gift vouchers in Flavors Of Cuisines-"Chinese"
Nabanita Das says
Very nice pickle and interesting too… HAppy to follow you . You have really a nice blog… Purely vegetarian so nice…
Kaveri Venkatesh says
Had been wanting to try this for a long time…will try it soon..looks very good
@ Rafeeda thank you so much dear!
Rafeeda AR says
i just saw that you are featured on this months BBC Good Food UAE edition… congratulations!!! so glad for you… 🙂
Kitchen Queen says
I used to add sprouted seeds in subji. Launji looks tempting. Next time use sprouts for this.
Sireesha Puppala says
Wow it's tempting finger licking
liked the click.. sounds healthy..
Santosh Bangar says
healthy innovative yummy laungi
Nice to know that we can make fenugreek to sprout and make delicious things out of it.
Check the below link for a great giveaway:
Suja Manoj says
Unique and super healthy,thanks for sharing.
Wowwww… looks super tempting and delicious.. lovely clicks too 🙂
Aruna Manikandan says
looks delicious and very tempting, love to give a try 🙂
Stunning and super tempting pickle, looks simply awesome.
Sanoli Ghosh says
Yummy and delicious pickle. Very new to me bookmarked it. Will try it very soon and let you know…..:)
Priya R says
I can almost taste the pickle 🙂 love anything with methi in them… yum
Rani's gourmet says
very tempting pickle..thanks for this interesting recipe..
Looks so delicious! Never knew of sprouting fenugreek — thanks!
kausers kitchen says
Very interesting recipe dear, tempting clicks.
Ramya Krishnamurthy says
interesting and this is fully flavorful
Very interesting one, sounds spicy, sweet, sour n tasty..bookmarked to try!
Meena Selvakumaran says
wht a feast to eyes,would love to try it sometime
Would like to try this, it has my fav ingredients – amchoor, raisins, jaggery!
New to me .Looks yummy will try soon
This is yummy. I have had thinner methi ki launji earlier. This one looks so jam like.
The fenugreek seeds have more bitter taste right… great to know when made to sprout it tastes good… Bookmarking it…
Event: Dish name starts with R till April 15th