Methi Dana Chutney -Healthy and delicious Chutney made with fenugreek seeds ,jaggary and few basic spices- Specialty From Rajasthan
Methi dana chutney / methi ki lunji is a very popular chutney /pickle from Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.It is usually made during winter and to serve as side dish or chutney . Most of the small food joints or halwai serve this chutney with Aloo ki sabzi and Khasta kachoris which taste awesome.It is also popular as kachori wali chutney in U.P.
This Methi Dana chutney is made in two ways -Sweet and sour or salty with just little sugar but I love this sweet and tangy version the most .Adding sugar not only enhance the taste but also increase its shelf life . It easily stays well for an year at room temperature ,no need for refrigeration. It goes very well as a side dish or chutney with almost all the snacks ,rice or any Indian bread.
Methi have numerous health benefits. It helps to lower cholesterol so reduces risk of heart diseases. Very good for diabetic patients as it regulates blood sugar levels.Helps in digestion and good to cure gastric trouble and indigestion. Methi is also good for lactating mothers .
It is also advised to eat some soaked methi seeds if you have arthritis and joint pain.so many heath benefits in this wonderful tiny seeds .
Though it is very healthy but it taste bitter so it is not easy to consume it directly. So It is a better idea to try and make different types of stir fry, pickle and chutneys with methi dana and consume daily in small quantity. I often make Methi dana sprouts and make different stir fry and sabzi with the sprouted seeds.
This quick and simple Methi sprouts and aloo ki sabzi is easy to make and taste delicious . In winters I make this healthy-Sprouted dana methi ki sabzi which stays well for a week in the refrigerator and you can have 2 tbsp of this healthy stir fry with your meal.
I have made this chutney with sprouted Methi seeds as sprouting makes the seeds less bitter but you can also make it without sprouting .Taste great both ways.
You can also try these delicious chutney’s-
- Aam Papad Chutney
- Methi Dana Chutney
- Apple Chutney
- Mixed Fruit Chutney
- Tangy Plum Chutney
- Kiwi Mint Chutney
- Ginger Chutney
- Amchoor ki chutney
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Methi Ki Launji / Fenugreek Seed Pickle
- 1/2 cup Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 3/4 cup Jaggary / Gud
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 4 tbsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 2 tbsp Chaat Masala
- 1.5 tsp Salt / Namak
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/4 cup Raisins / Kishmish
- 10 Dates / Khajoor
- Soak fenugreek/methi seeds in water for around 5 hours then drain the water.
- Now rinse with fresh water and drain the water completely .
- Take the seeds in a bowl and cover the bowl with a muslin cloth for 2 day to sprout them.
- When seeds are sprouted then wash them again and pressure cook with 1.5 glass of water for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- Drain the water and wash the boiled seeds with fresh water.(instead of boiling you can steam the seeds )
- Soak the dry dates in water for 4 hours ,remove the seeds and slice them thinly and if you are using fresh soft dates then chop them and add directly.
- Heat oil in pan and add cumin and fennel seeds.
- When seeds start crackling add boiled fenugreek seeds and saute for few seconds.
- Now add all the spices,sugar,jaggary,raisins and dates in the pan,mix well.
- Simmer for around 20 minutes or till gravy thickens.
- Store in a glass jar when cool down completely.
- You may substitute mango powder with thick tamarind pulp.
- I have sprouted the methi seeds for making this chutney but traditionally this is made with soaked fenugreek seeds so you can also make this without sprouting the seeds.
- You can adjust the quantity of sugar and jaggary according to your preference and then keep it refrigerated.
- I have used a mix of sugar and jaggary but you can add only sugar or jaggary .