Bedmi Poori/ Bedvi Poori- Deep fried pooris made with ground white lentil paste and few basic spices
The recipes and methods of making Bedmi in each cities are slightly different from each other. In some cities the bedvi is made by stuffing the urad daal paste inside the dough ball and then rolled and deep fried . In Banaras, Agra and Delhi you can find Bedmi poori’s which are made by mixing the lentil paste and spices with the flour and then it is rolled like pooris and deep fried. In Kanpur (my Husband’s home town ) Bedvi poori is served by the name -khasta ,but made exactly like bedmi poori but with less urad daal and more spices.
Khasta kachori’s are different then Bedmi pooris as kasta kachoris are made by stuffing the spicy lentil mixture inside the dough balls .Khasta kachori’s are made with refined flour ,are very crisp and flaky and a good amount of oil/ moyan is added in the dough and then they are fried on low heat.
In My Home town Mathura Urad daal ki Khasta kachoris are sold every where, may be you can find bedmi in some small shops but Mathura wala’s always prefer the crisp khasta kachoris with Jalebi and dubki waley aloo and khatta meetha kaddu.
Traditionally Bedmi pooris are made with urad daal paste .But you can also make them with a mix of yellow lentil/ moong daal and urad daal paste. Have seen many prefer to use only yellow moong daal paste to make Bedmi poori but I always prefer to use urad daal paste.
For a easier version you can also use urad daal flour/ aata instead of soaking and grinding the urad daal. Both ways it turn out equally delicious. You can also use refined flour instead of using wheat flour,then they turn out more crispier.
Bedmi Poories are best served with-
- Dubki waley Aloo Ki sabzi
- Khatta Metha Kaddu
- Baigan aloo palak suva ki sabzi
- Methi Ki chutney
- Mooli Lachcha Salad
- Bathua ka Raita
You can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new recipe videos every week
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook and Instagram for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Bedmi Poori,How To make Bedmi Poori
- 2.5 cup Whole Wheat Flour / Atta
- 1/2 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 3/4 cup Black lentil / Urad daal
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- to taste salt
- 2 Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 2.5 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf coarse powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- 2.5 tbsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya finely chopped (optional)
- Enough Cooking Oil to deep fry
- Wash and soak urad daal in enough water for 5 hours.
- Drain, wash and grind into a slight coarse paste with green chilies and ginger and approx 1/2 cup water
- Take a bowl add wheat flour,semolina, 2 tbsp oil and all the spices.
- Mix well,now add the daal paste,and chopped dhaniya and mix and then add little water (if needed)make a medium stiff dough.
- Cover and rest for 15 minutes.
- Make small balls from the dough and roll to make medium thick pooris.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry from both sides on medium flame,till nicely golden in colour.
- Drain on a paper napkin to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve hot bedmi poori with aloo ki sabzi, raita, khatti meethi kaddu ki sabzi.
- Slight coarse wheat flour is preferred to use for bedmi.
- Dont make very paste of soaked daal,grind it slightly coarse
- You can also use a mix of yellow moong daal and urad daal instead of using only urad daal paste.
Shaherose Lalji says
In the written recipe you have mentioned 2.5 cups of flour and yet in the video, you have used only 1.5 cups of flour. Is there a typographical error in the written recipe??
Anjana Chaturvedi says
Will update the post .Thanks
Rakesh Kumar Taneja says
Very nyc preprations n taste awesome