Tuvar Daal Khichdi- A simple kedgeree of Rice and lentil
Tuvar Daal Khichdi -During winters I often make khichdi as it is quick to make and don’t need too many side dishes to serve with ,just a bowl of curd and papad goes well with any type of khichdi . Arhar daal Khichdi is my favourite comfort food and my family also likes it so I make it often.
Khichdi can be made with any daal but the texture and thickness differes according to every ones own preference .It can be dry like pulao ,semi thick, medium thick or can be watery like a soup. This simple tuvar daal khichdi is very delicious and so easy to make so I make khichdi once in a week as it is light to digest and a quick and a healthy one pot meal .
If looking for more khichdi recipes then do try these-
- Yellow Moong Daal khichdi
- Tuvar Daal Khichdi
- Vegetable Daliya Khichdi
- Gujarati Vaghareli Khichdi
- Sama/ moraiya Ki Khichdi
Tuvar Daal Khichdi Recipe
- 1/2 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 1/2 cup Rice/chawal
- 3/4 cup Tomatoes / Tamatar chopped
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 5 cup Water / Paani
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/4 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1 Tsp Red chili powder
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/3 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/3 TSP Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- Wash rice and lentil and then soak in water for 15 minutes.
- Pressure cook with 2 cups of water on medium heat for 3 whistles.
- Then mash the khichdi lightly and add chopped tomatoes,ginger ,chili and all the dry spices and 2- 3 cups of water.(Add water according to the consistency you want to have )
- Mix and then simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Heat ghee and oil in a small pan .
- When it become warm add the tempering ingredients and cook till the seeds start crackling.
- Pour the tempering over the khichdi .
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix well
- Serve hot with a tsp of ghee on top.