Gujarati Vaghareli khichdi- Rice,lentil and vegetable porridge- healthy delicious one pot meal
Gujarati Vaghareli Khichdi is my all time favorite comfort food. I make khichdi every week as its light, good for digestion and a healthy quick fix meal. Their are so many variations of making this simple khichdi .Each state and family have there own favourite style of making khichdi.
Khichdi is a very healthy and quick one pot meal which can be made either with a medley of vegetables or without any vegetables . In this vaghereli khichdi I have added my favorite vegetables but you can add your favorite or the available vegetables .if you have fussy eaters at home then can skip adding any vegetable but it still taste awesome.
This vaghareli khichdi is also popular as Ram khichdi in Gujarat and Rajasthan. In Rajasthan some times they also add fried gattas in it.
Though with khichdi you don’t need any side dishes but as the saying goes – khichdi ke chaar yaar- ghee ,papad ,dahi ,achar .So a dollop of ghee with some yogurt ,popadam and some pickle at side takes the humble khichdi to another level.
For making any khichdi you don’t need to use any expensive variety of rice ,just use any short grain or even broken tukda rice can be used for making khichdi .
Khichdi is also very good for infants, patients and is good to cure upset stomach but then try to have this simple Green moong daal khichdi as this khichdi is very simple and don’t have too many spices and tempering so its very healthy and easy to digest.
You can also try these delicious and simple khichdi recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Waghareli Gujarati Khichdi
- 1 cup Rice/chawal short grain
- 1 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 1/2 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar
- 1.5 Potatoes / Aloo peeled and choped
- 1 Carrot / Gajar chopped
- 1 cup Bell Peppers / Capsicum / Shimla Mirch chopped
- 1 cup Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 1 cup Cauliflower /phool gobhi florets
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- To taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 5 cups Water / Paani
- 4 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
tempering/ tadka/ waghar
- 3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee *
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 10 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 6 Cloves / Lavang
- 2 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju or peanuts
- 4 dried Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash daal and rice and soak in enough water for about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil and ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin ,mustard .when they start to crackle then add cloves ,cinnamon,peppercorn,bay leaves and asafoetida and whole red chili.
- Now add all the choped vegetables,ginger,green chili and stir fry for few seconds
- add all the powdered spices and cashew and saute for a minute.
- Drain water from the soaked daal and rice and add rice and daal in the pressure cooker and stir fry for few seconds.
- Now add 5 cups of water and close the cooker lid.
- pressure cook for 3 whisteles on medium heat.
- let it cool down completely and then open the cooker and add chopped fresh coriander and mix gently.
- Serve hot with a dollop of ghee on top .
- Serving suggestion- serve with yogurt,papad and some pickle.
- I have used yellow moong daal but you can use mixed dal insted of using only moong daal.
- can use any short grain rice ,no need to use basmati rice.
- You can reduce the quantity of oil and ghee as per your preference.
- can use any vegetable depend on your choice and availability.