Adai dosa- A savory pancake made with rice and mixed lentil
Adai is a very popular and healthy South Indian breakfast item. Adai is made with rice and a mix of 3-4 lentils. Though the proportion of lentils differs according to each family and region but the lentils used are mainly urad daal ,tuvar daal, moong daal and chana daal.The rice and lentils are soaked for 3-4 hours and then ground coarsely
Adai can be thick like uttapam or like a medium thick dosa, again the thickness depends on your preference.My daughter like to have it like dosa so make it how crisp you want to have.
To make it more healthy you can also add grated carrots, cabbage, spinach , peas etc according to your choice .It is a very good recipe for kids tiffin box. It is very simple to make and does not require too much fermenting time like dosa, you can either ferment it for 3-4 hours or can make it instantly.
My family loves South Indian snacks so I often makes –
- 1.5 cup Rice/chawal
- 1/4 cup Yellow Lentil / Moong Daal (dhuli huee)
- 1/4 cup Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 1/4 cup Split White Gram / Safed Urad
- 2 tbsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1/2 cup Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 5 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 15 Curry Leaves
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 inch Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- Soak rice and daal together for 3-4 hours.
- Grind soaked rice and daal with red chili ,green chili ,ginger and curry leaves and make a coarse and medium thick paste.
- Take out the batter in a bowl and add salt, turmeric ,asafoetida,fresh coriander and mix well.
- Now cover and keep aside for 3-4 hours, you can also make it instantly but resting time give best results.
- Heat a non stick pan and spread a ladle full of batter over it and spread to make a round medium thick dosa.
- Make 3-4 holes in it and drizzle some oil or butter and let it cook on medium heat.
- When its done then flip it over and again drizzle some oil or butter over it.
- Cook till adai become golden from both the sides.
- Remove adai from the pan and serve hot.
- Adai can be served with coconut chutney, Tomato chutney, Sambhar, Avial or Rasam.