quick and easy instant Mango pickle – Kerala style Mango pickle Onam Sadya special pickle from Kerala
Mango season has started everywhere and raw mangoes are easily available in the markets. I make mango pickle every year. There are so many homemade pickle jars in my pantry but still I always look for new recipes to try. This year I want to make something instant and easy as there are many requests from my blog viewer to post an easy instant recipe.
I have already posted – Punjabi Mango Pickle, Gujarati Mango pickle Recipe. The dry version of Mango pickle is very popular in my family as it is very easy and convenient to serve and to carry in tiffin boxes – Aam Ka Sookha Achar. The Marwari special pickle from Rajasthan – Marwari Aam aur Chaney Ka Achar is quite different as it made with soaked chickpeas and grated raw mangoes.
So this year I wanted to try this Kerala style cut mango pickle which is very easy to make, instant and taste so delicious. This instant mango pickle is also known as Manga curry and a must have on Onam Sadya menu and in all religious functions and weddings in Kerala. The mango should be chopped in small pieces without peeling it. If the mango is very sour then you can add little jaggary into it but traditionally jaggary is not added but no harm if you add it. This instant cut mango pickle will stay fresh for a month in the refrigerator.
Traditionally Gingelly oil or Sesame oil is used in Kerala to make this cut Mango pickle but you can easily use any vegetable oil which you normally use in your cooking. This goes best with Curd Rice, Parathas , Moong Daal Khichdi and Daal-rice combo. So make this easy pickle and enjoy !
A quick instructional video of this recipe can be found on this link:
Instant Mango pickle- Karela style Mango pickle
- 400 gms Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam chopped
- 1.5 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tbsp Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil
- 15 Curry Leaves
- Dry Roast fenugreek seed slightly and then grind to make a powder and keep side.
- Wash and wipe well the raw mango and then chop to make small pieces.
- Take the chopped mango in a bowl and add salt, turmeric, roasted fenugreek powder and red chili powder and mix well
- In a pan add the oil and heat and then add mustard seeds.
- When mustard start to crackle then add asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now add the mango mixture and stir to mix well.
- Switch off the heat and let the mixture cool down in the pan.
- Fill the pickle in a glass jar and keep refrigerated.
- You can stat eating it immediately but it taste much better after 2-3 days when the mango pieces absorb all the flavors.
- Serving- can serve with curd rice, khichdi, paratha ,it goes well with any thing savory.