Gujarati Mango pickle- Tangy delicious Raw Mango pickle -Gujarati style
Gujarati Mango Pickle- have mentioned in my earlier post that I love to make pickles of different varieties and as I have already made Punjabi mango pickleand a Marawari mango and chick pea pickle which have a lots of masalas,so thought of making this simple Gujarati pickle/athanu ,which have less spices in comparison to North Indian style pickles
To make this Gujarati mango pickle -I have peeled the mango slices before chopping ,but this is optional,you can also make this without peeling the mangoes.You can use readymade pickle masala to make this, which is very easily available in all the Indian stores and I have also posted –Gujarati pickle masala recipe
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gujarati Mango Pickle
- 1 kg Raw Mango / Kachcha Aam
- 4 tbsp Pickle masala
- 4 tbsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 50 gm Salt
- 1 cup Mustard Oil / Sarso ka tel
- Wash and wipe mangoes with a cloth.Peel the mangoes and chop into small pieces.
- Mix salt and 1 tsp turmeric in the chopped mango pieces and keep covered for 5-6 hours.
- Drain the mango pieces on a steel or plastic colander to strain all the water.
- Spread the mango pieces on a cloth for 2 hours,to remove all the extra moisture.
- Take the pieces in a bowl and mix all the spices and grated jaggary.
- Heat the oil well and then let it come to room temperature,Mix the oil in the mango and masala mixture.
- Mix well and transfer the pickle in a glass or plastic jar.
- Let it mature for 2 days so mango pieces become slightely soft and absorb the flavours.
- Serve with paratha,thepla , khichdi or rice
1-You can also make this pickle without peeling the mangoes.
2-Can substitute mustard oil with any cooking oil which you normally use for making pickles. 3-Check the pickle masala recipe here- Ready Pickle masala-