Batatyacha kees /Indian Hash Brown Potatoes -A traditional recipe from Maharashtra
Batatyacha Kees-Navratri is started from today and Most of the people in North India fast during Navratri and eat only satvik food as grains and pulses are prohibited during fasting. Sabudana(sago),Singhora ka atta(Water chestnut flour),kuttu(buck wheat flour), Sama(Barnyarn millet ),Rajgiri atta,Ramdana are commonly used for making pattices, pooris and pilafs.All fruits can be used but in vegetables only Potato,sweet potato,colocasia/ arbi/kachalu, yellow pumpkin/ kaddu ,yam/suran ,bottle gourd/ lauki ,cucumber/kheera ,raw banana are preferred.
Not all the spices can be used in fasting but only some selected spices can be used i.e sendha namak(rock salt),pepper powder,mango powder,asafoetida and cumin seeds.But it may vary from region to region and family traditions and rituals.
Batatyacha kees is a traditional and very popular breakfast item from Maharashtra which is usually made during fasting.Grated potatoes are tossed in cumin and green chilies and are stir fried to a golden colour with some crushed peanuts .Addition of lemon juice and sugar is optional but I love the tangy taste so I always add both in my batatyacha kees.
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
- 4 Potatoes / Aloo medium size
- 1/2 cup Peanuts / Moongphali
- 2.5 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- Wash and peel the potato skin.
- Grate with a the help of a thick grater and then wash it well and dip in a bowl of water.
- Dry roast peanut in a pan or oven or microwave and then rub off the skin from the peanuts.
- Crush the peanuts coarsely and keep aside
- Now Squeeze the water from the grated potatoes.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottom and broad pan.
- Add green chilies and peanuts and stir till cumin start to crackle.
- Now add the grated potatoes and stir fry for a minute.
- Let it cook on medium heat, keep stirring in between to avoid burning or sticking at the bottom of the pan.
- After 2-3 minutes cover the pan with a lid and cook on medium heat
- Now add salt,peanuts and sugar and cook for about a minute or till done.
- Switch off the flame and then add chopped coriander and lemon juice.