Curry Leaves Podi- A healthy spice mix made with curry leaves ,lentils and few spices
Curry leaves podi or Karuveppilai podi / karivepaku podi is a very popular spice mix from Southern India. It is a dry spice mix which can be served with so many food varieties like rice, idli, dosa, upma,pongal,khichdi, chapathi and many more.The main ingredient is curry leaves which have numerous health benefits.
Usually curry leaves are used for tempering curry and lentils as it gives a nice aroma and flavour .It is packed with vitamins,calcium,Iron,carbohydrates and phosphorous.
It is a good source of Iron so good for anemic patients.Lowers the blood sugar level. It also helps in digestion. Is an anti oxidants so protect our liver and heart from harmful toxins. Curry leaves are also very good for the hair health, besides using it in your food ,you can also apply curry leaves paste on your hairs to make them shiny and soft and accelerates hair growth and cure dandruff. It also have anti fungal and antibacterial properties so helps to cure and treat skin infections.
This curry leaves podi is a very easy and delicious spice mix which can be used regularly with your meals.There are so many different curry Leaves podi recipe in each and every house of Southern India. I made my own Curry Leaves podi according to my taste preference ,hope you will try and like this recipe !
Curry Leaves Podi
- 5 cup Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta tightly packed
- 4 tbsp Bengal gram /chana daal
- 4 tbsp White Lentils / Urad ki dal (dhuli)
- 1.5 tbsp Pigeon Pea / Tuvar / Arhar ki daal
- 2.5 tbsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- lime size Tamarind / Imli
- 6 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1.5 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1.5 tsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp Jaggary / Gud * optional
- To taste Salt / Namak
- Wash the curry leaves in enough water and wipe them well with a kitchen napkin.
- Spread the leaves on a cloth and dry for 5-6 hours in the shade or under the fan or just pop in the microwave and heat for 3-4 minutes on medium high.(dont sundry else the leaves will become pale yellowish)
- Now add the semi dried curry leaves in a pan and roast on low flame till the leaves dries completely and become crisp ,but take care not to over roast the leaves ,they should remain green in colour.
- Now heat oil 1 tsp oil in a pan and roast the red chilies till they slightly change their color and become crisp,then take out from the pan.
- Now add the coriander,cumin and pepper and roast till they slightly change colour and just start giving a nice aroma.take out and spread in a plate to cool down.
- Now add 1 tsp oil in the pan and all the lentils and roast them till they become golden and crisp.Now switch off the flame and add the asafoetida and tamarind and mix well .
- Let all the ingredients come to room temperature.
- Add all the roasted ingredients and salt in the mixer jar and grind coarsely.
- Now add the dried curry leaves and jaggary and grind again to make a slight coarse powder (You can grind it fine or semi coarse,it depends on your preference.)
- Store in a airtight jar and enjoy with your meal.stays fresh for about a month at room temperature ,you can also store it in the refrigerator for a long shelf life.
- Enjoy it with rice,khichdi, upma,idly, dosa or as a side dish with your main course meal.