Moringa leaves powder/ Drumstick leaves powder
Moringa leaves powder. The Moringa tree is often referred to as a miracle tree because the leaves are packed with so many nutrients, antioxidants and they are rich in protein, vitamins, and minerals. The Moringa tree or drumstick tree grows all over India in abundance. It is a tall tree but you can also grow it in containers on your balcony. The fruit of the tree is used to make sabzi, curries, and stir-fries and they are very healthy and taste great.
The leaves of the Moringa tree are edible and are used in cooking from olden times but have become popular in the last few years as a superfood. Personally I was not aware of these leaves until I saw them in a supermarket here in Dubai and then a Keralite friend told me about it and since then moringa leaves have become a regular in my grocery shopping list.
Moringa leaves have almost all the nutrients we need regularly for good health and well being. They have vitamins, calcium, iron, protein, magnesium, zinc, and are low in fat and this helps to cure numerous health problems by keeping our bodily organs healthy.
Health Benefits Of Moringa Leaves-
- Moringa leaves can treat Cancer and are also good for liver health.
- The calcium and phosphorus and the anti-inflammatory properties present in Moringa leaves help to make bones stronger and help arthritis patients.
- The antioxidants present in moringa leaves are heart-friendly and thus help us to maintain a healthy lipid and cholesterol profile and prevent cardiac damage.
- Moringa has also shown to help decrease the stress hormone that causes erectile and sexual dysfunction in men. The vitamins in moringa are essential for sexual arousal and, therefore, some men find that it can be used alongside medication such as viagra to boost their sexual health.
- Moringa leaves powder is good for diabetic patients as it helps to reduce the amount of glucose in the blood.
- It also prevent arteries from thickening thus reducing high blood pressure.
- Moringa also helps to improve eyesight by stopping the dilation of retinal vessels.
- Treats Anemia – It helps the body to absorb more Iron thus the red blood count increases.
- Helps in treating mood disorders, anxiety and fatigue, just as CBD oil UK products can do to help calm those responses. Understandably, it is just not CBD oil that could do the trick for one’s anxiety and stress-related problems, but also other CBD-based products like gummies that could provide relief. However, if you would like to Buy CBD oil: https://blessedcbd.co.uk, (or Blessed CBD) and similar websites could be of help.
- Due to its antibacterial and anti fungal properties it helps in digestion, treats constipation and gastric problems.
- Moringa leaves juice acts as an antiseptic on skin problems and is good for wound healing.
- Good for lactating mothers as it helps to increase milk production.
How To Make Moringa Powder
Though fresh moringa leaves are easily available in the market its a good idea to make a powder of moringa leaves and use it whenever required. Making powder from Moringa leaves is very easy. Get fresh tender leaves, pluck the leaves and discard the stems and stalks and then wash them thoroughly 2-3 times with enough water and then spread on a kitchen napkin to absorb the extra moisture. Now spread in a colander /sieve or on a napkin and sundry in a covered area (don’t put in direct sunlight as it will affect the bight green color of the leaves). You can also dry it under the fan if you don’t have the option to dry it in sunlight.
The leaves will dry in 1-2 days. When the leaves become crisp then gently crush them and discard the stems and stalk if any remain and then powder the leaves in your mixer and store it in an airtight container. It stays fresh for 6 months at room temperature. After 6 months it may lose some potency but is still edible. You can also refrigerate it if you are making it in bulk. The taste may be slightly bitter so use it in little quantities at a time.
How Much Should You Consume-
The recommended dose of moringa powder is to start with 1/2 tsp per person and can be increased to 1 tsp daily. Taking too much moringa leaves powder at once may lead to, indigestion, flatulence, upset stomach or a runny tummy, after which you may want to consider using a probiotic like morning complete to help normalize your digestive system again. However, the best practice is to simply start slowly and then increase gradually over time.
If you are on medication for blood pressure or Diabetes then better to take your doctors advice before taking Moringa Powder regularly. This is because some doses or Moringa can affect these medicines.
How to Use Moringa Powder-
- Add 1 tsp powder in your regular daal to make it healthier..
- Add in your chapati dough or bread dough.
- Sprinkle it on any stir fry like you add coriander powder.
- Add some Moringa powder, lemon juice and honey in a cup of boiling water to make healthy Moringa tea.
- Add some moringa powder in your yogurt, raita, soup and stew.
- Can be added in your dosa or cheela batter.
- My favourite way– Mix some moringa powder in your coriander powder jar so it can be added regularly in your daily daal and sabzi, I always add some dried Moringa leaves and dried curry leaves in my Home made Coriander powder to make it more flavourful and healthier.
- Add in your favorite breakfast smoothies.
- When ever you make green chutney add 1/2 tsp of moringa powder.
- Add a little in your salad dressing.
- It does not dissolve in cold water so add in hot water or liquids.
I will soon post some recipes to use Moringa powder, till then Try this Recipe- Moringa leves and potato stir fry