Garam Masala- A very Aromatic and flavorful spice mix from Punjab
Garam masala is a flavorful blend of whole spices ,its is among the most popular spice blends of Indian food. Every region and house hold have its own favorite recipe of making Garam masala but the most popular is Punjabi garam masala as it is fragrant but not so hot so can easily be used during summer season also.
Grinding it very fine or slightly course depend on personal preference ,but you need not to sieve it after grinding just directly add it at the end of cooking as over cooking some time ruin the flavors. Always make small and fresh batches of Punjabi garam masala for a strong nice flavour.
You can use it in Daal Makhni, Rajma Recipe or any simple daal ,curries ,dry sabzi . Gives a nice flavour to Methi Aloo Parathas, Gobhi Parathas.
Home made spices are very flavourful and economical too, I always prefer to make my own spice blends like Tandoori Masala, chai Ka Masala, Chat masala, Galouti Kabab Masala, Zaatar Spice Mix , Idli Milagai Podi and many more spice blends to use in My kitchen.
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook and Instagram for more delicious recipes and updates
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Punjabi Garam Masala
Punjabi Garam Masala- A very Aromatic and flavourful spice mix from Punjab
- 1 cup Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 1 cup Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 4 tbsp Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 5 Black Cardamom / Badi Elaichi
- 4 tbsp Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 4 Whole red chilies
- 3 inch Cinnamon /daalchini
- 2 tbsp Cloves / Lavang
- 1/4 piece Nutmeg/Jaiphal
- 4 blades Mace/ Javitri
- 3 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/3 cup Dried rose petals
- Lightly roast all the spices on slow flame for 1 minute till nice aroma start coming from the masala,but don't over do it.
- You can also keep this masala in hot sunlight for a 2 days to remove moisture from the spices(if you want to skip the roasting process)
- Add rose petals and Then let it cool down completely
- Grind in the mixer and make a powder(grinding it fine or coarse is personal preference)
- Store in an airtight jar,and use as required
Serving suggestions-Use in almost all Indian curries, pulao, raita , Parathas and lentils
thnx mam!Ireally like ur quick responses.
@Anonymous-Punjabi garam masala have this much of coriander seeds(double amount of cumin seeds)but when they are ground they become very less in quantity.try this once you will love the aroma.
Mam isnt there too much of coriander seeds. Garam masala generally does not have so much of coriander seeds.
Veena Theagarajan says
nice flavourful masala
Sailaja Damodaran says
Do you add star anise? Looks tempting.
Flavourful and aromatic masala..never tried punjabi garam masala..must try soon 🙂
Thank you for sending it to my event.
kitchen queen says
delicious garam masala and thanks for sharing.
Such a flavour full masala!
new dishes. i must try .