Idli Podi, Milagai podi, Gun powder – Flavorful and delicious spice powder made with roasted lentil and spices
Idli podi, Milagai podi or malgapodi/ Gun Powder is a popular powder/chutney/podi of every south Indian kitchen.It is a nice accompaniment to serve with dosa ,idli,adai and vada. When ever I go to any south Indian restaurant I love the malgapodi / gun powder more then the chutnies served with idli and dosas.When I met a south Indian friend of mine she shared her family recipe with me.
In Tamil chilies are refereed as Milagai and powder is Podi so this delicious hot powder is named Milagai Podi.
Though there are many recipes to make milagai podi and every family has their own traditional family recipe of making Idli Podi but the main ingredients remains the same, just different ratios of ingredients or few more or less ingredients to be added . Addition of tamarind , jaagary and curry leaves is optional in Milagai podi ,you can add or skip them .
Do try these delicious Recipes-
- Curry Leaves Podi
- Adai Dosa
- Tamarind Rice
- Set Dosa
- Ginger Chutney
- Puli Milagai
- Khara Bhath/ Masala Upma
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayek
You can also follow me on Pinterest , Facebook , Twitter and Instagram for more delicious recipes and updates
Idli Milagai podi /Malga podi
Idli Milagai Podi- Flavorful and delicious spice powder made with roasted lentil and spices
Servings: 1 cups
- 3/4 cup Bengal gram /chana daal
- 3/4 cup White lentil/urad daal
- 15 Whole Kashmiri red chilies
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds /til
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 2 tbsp Whole coriander seeds/ Sabut Dhaniya
- 1.5 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 tbsp Tamarind / Imli
- 2 tbsp Jaggary / Gud *
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil
- 10 Whole pepper corn/ Sabut Kali Mirch
- 1 cup Dried curry leaves (whole)
- In a pan add oil and both lentils/daal.Roast till they become red in color.
- Now remove the roasted daal from the pan and keep aside.Add sesame seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns in the pan and dry roast till they give a nice aroma.
- Remove from the pan and keep aside
- Dry the curry leaves in the microwave for a minutes or dry under the fan.
- Add 2 tsp of oil in the pan and add the kashmiri red chilies and roast for a minute on low heat.switch off the flame and then add the curry leaves and asafoetida and stir for few seconds .Let the ingredients cool down completely.
- Grind the roasted ingredients, jaggary, salt and tamarind in the mixer to make a coarse powder.
- Store in an air tight jar.
- Serving suggestions-Mix with little ghee or sesame oil or use just as a dry powder to serve with idli, dosa or vada.
Addition of jaggary and tamarind is optional,depends on individual taste and preference, tastes great both ways.