Papad boondi ki sabji – A quick, easy and delicious yogurt base curry made with Poppadom and boondi- a Rajasthani delicacy
Papad Boondi ki sabji is a specialty from the state of Rajasthan. As Rajsthan is a dry state and fresh vegetables was not very easily available in summer so gram flour/ besan, lentils, sun dried vegetables are used in their curries which can be made easily any time.
Besan ki pakodi ,cheela , daal ke papad and mongodi are used extensively in Rajasthan to make curries and the base of the curries are mostly either yogurt or roasted or plain besan/gram flour ,tomatoes are not used much in Rajasthani cuisine. They used a lot of oil and spices in their curries which gives a nice colour and taste to the simple curries.
This papad boondi ki sabzi is a very quick and easy recipe .when ever I am in hurry and want to fix something quickly then I always make this sabzi. You can make this papad boondi ki sabzi with urad daal papad and moong daal papad both but I prefer to use urad daal or chana daal papad to make this curry as urad daal papad don’t become too soft after cooking. You can adjust the spice level according to your preference.
You can also make this without adding boondi but addition of boondi add the taste and gives thickness to the thin curry. You can use curd or ready made buttermilk to make this . Slightly sour yogurt is preferred for this sabzi but lemon juice can also be added if using fresh yogurt. Do try this easy ,delicious and Quick recipe. It taste great with poori, paratha or even with jeera rice and pulao .
I love Rajasthani food and make regularly in my kitchen. The most favorite and often made Rajasthani dishes are –
- Gatte ki sabzi ,
- Ker sangri ki sabzi
- Aloo Mangodi ki sabzi ,
- Papad Methi dana ki sabzi ,
- Kachchi haldi ki sabzi
- Guvar phali ki sabzi
You can check My video of papad Boondi Sabji Video and subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Papad Boondi Ki Sabzi
- 4 Urad daal papad
- 1/2 cup Boondi optional
- 1.5 cup yogurt
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1/2 tsp Ginger Chilli Paste
- 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/3 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 3/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 4 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice optional
- Take the papads and break into medium size pieces
- Mix yogurt with 2 cups of water and blend well and then add salt ,coriander powder, turmeric powder and the ginger chili paste in it.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds in it.
- Now lower the flame and add asafoetida and the whole red chilies and then add the broken papad pieces in the pan.
- Stir fry the papad pieces so they get roasted well ,now add the red chili powder ,mix it and immediately pour the yogurt mix in it.
- Keep stirring the curry on medium heat till it start boiling.
- After about 2 minutes add boondi and salt and give it a good boil so boondi become soft and swell up nicely
- Add fresh coriander and switch off the flame.
- Add little lemon juice if needed and serve hot with some fresh coriander on top.
- serve with roti,paratha ,pori or jeera rice.