Moringa Leaves and Potato sabzi– A healthy stir fry made with Moringa leaves and potatoes
Moringa or drumstick tree leaves are very healthy and nutritious and are widely consumed in Southern Part of India and many other countries since many many years. However it became very famous this year since it became a part of the list of super foods and we all became aware of its numerous health benefits. Moringa leaves are rich in antioxidants , calcium ,Iron and proteins . They also protect us from arsenic toxicity which can be caused by the contamination of water and food , helpful for Joint health as they have anti-inflammatory properties , helps to heal and protect damaged liver , acts as an antacid to comfort the stomach , contains powerful antibacterial agent , helps to cure Cancer and helps in treating Alzheimer. These are just a few benefits you can get by consuming moringa leaves from the huge list of its health benefits
Moringa olifera/ Benoil tree/Drumstick tree grows easily on roadsides and backyards and is quite a big tree and the fruit-drumsticks is used in many recipes ,we can make curries,stir fries ,pickles and chutnies from drumsticks. But the leaves which are most nutritious are not commonly used .
Since the time it has been announced as a super food the dried leaves are available in the form of health powder and even capsules .But making Moringa leaves powder is very easy and can be made at home ( Will post the recipe soon ) .This moringa leaves and potato sabzi is a quick and easy to make recipe and at the same time is very healthy and nutritious ,you can serve this as a side dish with roti or stuff in roll ,wraps or sandwiches. Will post more easy recipes to use moringa in your regular food,stay tuned ..
Moringa Leaves and Potato sabzi
- 5 cup Moringa leaves/ drumstick leaves Tightly packed
- 4 medium Potatoes / Aloo 500 gms
- 2 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- Pinch of Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash the moringa leaves in enough water and squeeze gently and keep aside.
- Wash and peel the potatoes and if you have new potatoes you can just scrub them well.
- Chop the potatoes in cubes and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and then add cumin seeds .
- When it start crackling add chopped green chilies and asafoetida and after few seconds add turmeric powder.
- Now add chopped potatoes and salt and give a nice stir to mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on low heat till it about 80%cooked .
- Now add the moringa leaves and red chili powder and mix well.
- Again cover the pan with a lid and cook till its done.
- Now add mango powder and mix well,cover again for a minute and then serve hot or cold.
- Serving suggestions- can be served as a side dish with roti,bread and rice,can be stuffed in wraps,rolls and sandwiches.
- I have used about 5 cups of leaves but you can easily double the quantity of leaves if available.
- I have not chopped the leaves but you can chop them if you want.
- Can use lemon juice instead of mango powder.