Punjabi Urad Daal Tadka- a very delicious dhaba style white lentil in creamy tomato gravy
Urad daal is a very popular dal of North India specially in Punjab .In Southern India this daal is mostly used to make idli, dosa , vada etc. It is a very good vegetarian option , rich in Iron, Protein, vitamins and other rich nutrients.
This is a comfort food and be paired with paratha, naan, jeera rice etc. This Urad daal is among my favorite dal. You can also cook it for family gettogether , parties etc, every body loves the taste and texture of this delicious PunjaUrad ki daal.
This Urad ki daal is very easy to make with basic Indian spices. Just a simple tadka of hing, jeera and ginger make this dal so delicious yet homely. This Urad dal is slight heavy to digest so addition of cloves , peppercorn, asafoetida and ginger helps in digestion so don’t skip these ingredients if they are easily available.
What is Urad Daal
It is split DE husked white lentil. It is slight creamy in texture. Washed and soaked dal is pressure cooked with salt and turmeric till al Dante. Don’t over cook at this stage as we further cook it after adding the tempering.
A flavorful tempering is made in ghee . Add cumin, hing, cloves, dry red chili and tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes become mushy . After adding tempering add fresh coriander, lemon juice and then enjoy with paratha, roti or Naan.
You can also try these recipes-
Check my Urad daal video on my youtube channel-Maayeka
Punjabi Urad daal Tadka
- 1 cup White lentil/Urad daal
- 3 medium Tomatoes / Tamatar
- 3 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 1 tbsp Ginger / Adrak
- handful Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder optional
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 5 tbsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 2 Dried Red Chilli, Whole
- 6 Peppercorns / Sabut Kali Mirch
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- Take urad daal , wash 2-3 times and soak for 10 minutes only.
- Coarsely grind or chop the tomatoes.
- Add 4 tbsp ghee or oil in the pressure cooker
- Add cumin seeds ,when cumin become golden then add the asafoetida powder, whole red chilies, cloves and peppercorns and let them spluter
- Add the chopped tomatoes add salt , cover with a plate and cook till the tomatoes become soft.
- Now mash the tomatoes with the ladle and add the sliced green chilies, ginger , coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric and the kashmiri chili powder
- Sauté the masala on medium heat till it start releasing the oil from the sides.
- Now drain the water from the soaked urad daal and then add the soaked daal in the cooker and sauté for a minute on medium heat.
- Add 2 cups of water and mix. (can add 1.5 to 2.5 cup water according to the thickness you want to have in the dal)
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium heat. (or cook till done )
- Let it cool down completely.
- You can add some hot water to adjust the consistency of the dal if needed.
- If you add some water then give it a boil at this stage.
- Switch off the heat .
- Add lemon juice and fresh coriander and mix.
- Serve hot daal with 1 tsp ghee on top to enhance the taste.
- Enjoy Punjabi Urad daal with roti , paratha or naan.