Rava Idli- Quick,easy and Instant Idli made with semolina and yogurt, a Tiffin recipe from Southern India
Idli is a popular breakfast or tiffin item from Southern India.Normally Idli is made with rice and white lentil,which are soaked ,ground and fermented before making ,this is the traditional way of making Idli. But you can not make these Idli instantly but this rava idli is Instant quick and easy to make. When ever I want to make some thing light for dinner or a quick breakfast or tiffin then these soft and fluffy rava Idli first came in my mind.
Now my family prefer these rave Idlis then the regular rice Idli Recipe. These rava Idlis are not only easy to make but they are light to digest too . Adding tempering is optional in rava idli but the flavor of tempering and the roasted cashew enhance the taste of rava Idli so highly recommended.
As the batter is not left for fermenting so addition of Eno fruit salt is a must for making them soft and fluffy and can’t be avoided. If you not have Eno in your pantry then can use soda bi carb instead (1/2 quantity of eno)
You can serve these Idlis with Coconut chutney, Tomato chutney , or with Vegetable Sambhar. My daughter loves these rava Idli smeared with melted ghee and Idli podi .These soft pillowy Rava Idlies goes well with just every thing.
You can make rava idli with fine or coarse rava both the varieties, but the coarse variety need some extra soaking time as compared to fine rava. You can also add some grated or finely chopped vegetables of your choice in the Idli batter to make them more healthier and colourful.
These rava Idlis stays fresh and soft for a long time so a good lunch box item. you can sprinkle little water over the Idli and heat in microwave to make them fresh and hot again.
Now so many ready to make Idli mixes are available in the market but they have preservatives and the quality and freshness is not guaranteed. I have also posted the recipe of making your own – Instant Rava Upma Mix which can be used to make fresh instant Upma and Idli both.
- 1 cup Semolina / Sooji
- 1/2 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 1 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1 Green Chillies / Hari Mirch finely chopped
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3/4 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 2 tsp Cooking oil or ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1 tsp White Lentils / Urad ki dal (dhuli)
- 2.5 tbsp Cashew Nuts / Kaju chopped
- 10 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- Pinch Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Whisk the yogurt and add about 2 cups of water and mix.
- Heat oil and add cashew nuts and roast on low heat till it turn golden in colour ,now remove the roasted cashew from the pan and keep aside .
- In the same pan now add white lentil and mustard seeds,when the mustard start to crackle then add the curry leaves and stir
- Add this tempering and the roasted cashews in the yogurt mix .
- Now add the semolina , ginger and salt in the yogurt and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and let it rest for an hour (you can use it after 15 minutes but soaking for 1-3 hours gives best result, )
- Add water in the batter to adjust the consistency (the batter should be like the normal rice idli batter )
- Now add 1.5 glass of water in your idli steamer and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Grease the idli mould with oil and keep it ready.
- When the water in the steamer start to boil then add Eno fruit salt in the batter and mix well.(If you are making idli in batches then don't add Eno in the whole batter ,just add Eno in each batch batter separately)
- Fill the idli mould with batter and arrange in the steamer.
- Steam for 10 minutes on high heat OR till a tooth pick came out clean from the idli. switch off the flame and let it rest for 2-3 minutes .
- Now open the steamer and scoop out the idlis with a wet spoon.
- Serve soft rava idlis with hot with coconut chutney and tomato chutney.