Gajar Mooli Ka Achar- Tangy delicious carrot and Radish winter special seasonal pickle
Fresh and crisp carrots and Radishes are available in abundance in the market in this season. These fresh winter vegetables are so good to make vegetables, halwa , stuffed parathas, soups and my favourite -pickles ! Mango and lemon pickles are obviously the best among all the pickles but seasonal pickles have their own crisp and fresh taste.
Winter is incomplete for me without making jars of different pickles of carrot,cauliflower ,radish ,knol khol, amla , kachchi haldi and fresh green and red chilis. These pickles are easy and simple to make and taste awesome with hot plain paratha, stuffed aloo Parathas ,gobhi parathas and as a side dish to any meal.
I love pickles so much that they are in my plate for all meals-breakfast ,lunch and dinner ,but now due to health reasons I am trying to limit my pickle intake, but making pickles cant be compromised 🙂
This gajar mooli ka achar is very simple to make ,you can adjust the ratio of vegetable as per your choice. Addition of ginger and green chilies is also optional ,you can add or just skip. If you are not a radish fan then go ahead and add sliced turnips instead of radishes.
I have added salt and kept for a day then drained the water released from the vegetables. This method ensures a long shelf life and as the water is drained so it will not give a strong smell of radish and taste much better . In case if you want to make this carrot and radish pickle instantly then after chopping all the vegetables (skip step 6,7,8)just add the all the spices ,vinegar and oil and mix and store.
If you love making pickles then do try these winter pickles –
- Gajar Gobhi Shalgum Ka Punjabi Achar
- Amla ka Achar
- Fresh Turmeric and Ginger Pickle
- Tindora Pickle
- Athela Mircha
- Gajar Aloo ka Achar
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Gajar Mooli Ka Achar ,Carrot and Radish Pickle
- 400 gm Carrot / Gajar
- 500 gm Radish/ Mooli
- 150 gm Green Chillies / Hari Mirch
- 100 gms Ginger / Adrak
- 2 tbsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 3.5 tbsp Mustard Seeds / Rai kuria
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds / Methidana
- 1/3 tsp Asafoetida/hing
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 3 tsp Salt / Namak
- 1.5 tbsp White Vinegar / Sirka
- 3/4 cup Mustard Oil / Sarson ka tel
- Wash and peel carrots and radish and wipe with a napkin.
- Make medium thick slices /batons of about 1.5- 2 inches.
- Wash and wipe green chilies, remove the stems and slit from the center and make into 2 pieces or just slit from the center .
- Wash, wipe and peel ginger and chop into medium thick slices.
- Take a big deep and wide vessel and add all the vegetables and 2 tsp salt and mix well.
- Cover the vessel and keep it aside for a day at room temperature.
- Now drain the vegetables on a colander ,wait for 15 minutes so all the moisture will be drained out.
- Spread the vegetables on a plate and keep in sunlight for 2 hours so the extra moisture will evaporate. you can also keep it under the fan if keeping in sunlight is not possible.
- Dry roast the mustard ,fenugreek and fennel seeds for a minute on low heat and then grind them coarsely when they cool down completely.
- Heat mustard oil to a smoking point and then after few minutes when it cool down slightly add asafoetida and then let it cool down completely.
- Take the vegetables in a big bowl and add the roasted ground spices along with all the remaining spices, 1 tsp salt and vinegar and mix well.
- Now add the mustard oil in the pickle and mix everything well.
- Fill the pickle in a glass jar and start consuming after 3 days.
- Serve with paratha,roti or as a side dish with your meal.
- Either Mustard oil should cover the pickle completely OR keep shaking or mixing the pickle regularly.
- If you are not a radish fan then go ahead and add sliced turnips instead of radishes.