Langar wali Daal/ Punjabi Maa Choley Ki Daal- Mildly spiced and creamy daal made with bengal gram and white lentils-specialty from Punjab
Langar wali daal is the most popular daal from the state of Punjab.Its quite heavy due to the addition of lots of butter and cream so this daal cant be made on daily basis.
Maa /maah / kaali dal is made with whole white lentil /sabut urad daal . Ginger and asafoetida is added to make it easy to digest. I have also posted the recipe of making delicious- Maa ki daal/Daal Makhani
This Lungar wali daal/maa choley ki daal is made with split urad daal /urad daal chilka and chana daal. This is a mildly spiced daal with minimum spice and little ghee or butter,so its not as heavy as maa ki daal. You can easily make it on a regular basis, in fact in Punjab its a regular in every kitchen.
Maa choley ki daal is also popular by the name Amritsari daal and langar wali daal as it is regularly served in the lungars of all Gurudwars .
You can adjust the spice level and thickness of this daal according to the consistency of your preference. If you want to serve with rice make it slightly thin and if you want to serve along with naan,roti or kulcha then make it slightly thick,tastes great both ways.
You need not to soak it overnight like the whole urad ,1/2 or 1 hours are enough to soak it so no need of pre planning to make this simple,mild but flavorful daal . Make sure you don’t over cook maa choley ki daal otherwise it may become like a paste while simmering.
Love making different daals then do try these-
- Lucknawi Daal
- Gujarati Tuvar Daal
- Rajasthani Navratna Daal
- Daal Panchwati
- Daal Makhni with Jeera Rice
- Suva Moong Daal
You can subscribe to my youtube channel- Maayeka for new delicious recipes
How To Punjabi Maa Choley Ki Daal / Langar Wali Daal
- 3/4 cup Split White Gram / Safed Urad daal
- 1/2 cup Bengal gram /chana daal
- 1.5 cup Tomato / Tamatar chopped
- 1 tsp Green chili/hari mirch chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 2 tsp Ginger / Adrak chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Dried Fenugreek / Kasoori Methi
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste salt
- 1.5 tbsp Butter, Unsalted / Makkhan
- 2.5 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 1/4 TSP Asafoetida / Hing powder
- Wash and soak both lentils together in enough water for 1/2 minutes
- After 1/2hour slightly rub and then drain the water in which it is soaked.
- Add the lentils in a pressure cooker and add grated ginger,chili, turmeric and 2 cups of water.
- Pressure cook on medium heat for 2 whistles or till daal get cooked (don't overcook)
- In a heavy bottom pan add ghee when become slightly hot then add cumin,hing and bay leaves
- Now add chopped tomato,chopped ginger and salt and cook till tomato become soft.
- Then add chili powder, turmeric and coriander powder and keep stirring till oil starts seperating.
- Add cooked dal, 2 cups of water,kasoori methi and garam masala in the pan and mix gently.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes.keep stirring in between else it may stick at the bottom.
- Add butter,fresh chopped coriander and serve hot.
- Serving suggestions-Can serve with roti, paratha, kulcha, steamed rice or jeera rice
unknown @ yes you can use 1/4 cup 3 times to make 3/4 cup
You have very nice recipes here. This one really looks very nice. Nice pics. Can you tell me if you use standard US cup measurements ? I have the std cup measures like 1 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cup…so for this one should I measure 1/4 cup thrice to make 3/4 cup ? I'm not sure. Please let me know.
nice recipe.. will try it..
Priya Suresh says
Such a comforting food, can survive many days with it.
Shobha Kamath says
Very flavourful and healthy dal.
Rumana Ambrin says
Nice and healthy dal…