Papaya Kachumber /A sweet and sour, green papaya and pomegranate relish is an specialty from Gujarat
Papaya kachumber is a special delicious dish from Gujarat. It can be served as salad, pickle and side dish with your main course or as an accompaniment with snacks and starters.
This is very easy to make recipe, addition of pomegranate seeds are optional. You can make papaya kachumber with just grated papaya and green chilies. You can also add some grated carrots in this kachumber for making it healthy and colorful.
Usually it is made sweet and sour taste so lemon juice and sugar is added to make it tangy . If you don’t like sweeet or sour then can skip adding sugar and lemon juice or adjust the quantity as per your taste preference.
You may like these Delicious recipes-
- Easy Pista Barfi
- Sweet and Sour Paneer
- Achari Paneer Tikka
- Paneer Pudina Kabab
- Moong Daal Kachori
- Kashmiri Dum Aloo
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Raw Papaya Kachumber , Green Papaya and Pomegranate Relish
- 2.5 cup Green Papaya
- 1/2 cup Dried Pomegranate seeds powder/anardana powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder / Haldi Powder
- 1.5 tsp Sugar / Chini
- 1.5 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1.5 tbsp Refined Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / Rai *
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 3 Green chilies/Hari Mirch chopped
- 8 Curry Leaves / Kadi Patta
- Peel the papaya, remove the white seeds and then grate it with the help of a thick grater.
- Heat oil in a pan and then add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds start crackling add asafoetida, chopped green chilies and curry leaves, and sauté.
- Add turmeric and grated papaya and sauté for approx. 1 minute on medium heat.
- Now add the salt, sugar and lemon juice, mix and sauté for a minute (be careful not to overcook the papaya).
- Take the pan off the heat and then mix pomegranate seeds.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Serving Suggestions – Serve as a relish, pickle or salad.
- You may substitute pomegranate seeds with roasted and coarsely crushed salted peanuts.