Authentic Kashmiri dum aloo -deep fried baby potatoes and simmered in a fragrant rich gravy
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Authentic Kashmiri Dum Aloo
- 12 Baby Potatoes / Chhote Aloo
- 3/4 cup Yogurt / Dahi
- 2.5 tsp Kashmiri Chilli Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Khoya/Mawa/solidified milk
- 4 tsp Fennel Seeds / Saunf
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing powder
- 1.5 tsp Dried Ginger / Saunth
- 2 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/2 tsp Shah jeera
- 1/2 tsp Sugar / Chini
- to taste Salt / Namak
- Cooking Oil to deep fry
- 2 Cloves / Lavang
- 4 Green Cardamom / Hari Elaichi
- 1/2 Cinnamon /daalchini
- 2 Bay Leaves / Tej Patta
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Wash potatoes and par boil in an open pan ,also add some salt in the water.
- Peel the potatoes(peeling the skin is optional )and prick them well with a toothpick.this should be done perfectly and properly ,so the potatoes will absorb all the flavours and masalas.
- Heat enough oil in a wide and deep pan and then add potatoes,and deep fry till golden red in colour.(see note)
- When the potatoes are done,they will float on the surface of the oil.
- When done, drain on a tissue paper and keep aside.
- In a small bowl ,take 1/4 cup water and add kashmiri chili powder and asafoetida,mix(A)
- Heat ghee and oil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Add cloves,green cardamom,cinnamon,bay leaves and the chili paste (A)
- Saute for few seconds and then add whisked yogurt and saute for few seconds
- Add 3 cups of water,fennel powder,ginger powder,coriander powder and salt and let it boil.keep stirring.
- When water start boiling add fried potatoes,grated khoya and shahi jeera and mix.
- Cover the pan with a lid and simmer for approx 20 minutes,keep stirring in between.
- When the gravy thickens and potatoes will absorb almost all the gravy and oil start floating on the sides and top.then its done.
- Now add sugar, garam masala, chopped fresh coriander and mix.
- Cover and simmer for a minute .
- Serve with naan,paratha or rice
3- Traditionaly kashmiris use mustard oil in their cooking but you can use any oil of your choice if you don't want to fry in mustard oil. 4- Don't fry the potatoes on high or medium flame,add on high flame and then reduce to medium and then low, only then the potatoes will fry well and become lighter,I fried them together in a big pan and it take 30 minutes to get a nice red colour. 5-As I like little sourness in my gravys ,I also added few drops of lemon juice at step 14. 6- Addition of khoya is optional.