Ratlami sev – Spicy gram flour crisps a North Indian savory
Ratlami sev is a popular fried and crisp snack made with gram flour,clove,pepper and other spices.This is a specialty from the city of Ratlam(M.P).The addition of the special spice blend,makes this spicy and gives a unique taste.the spice blend and the thickness of Ratlami sev is different from bikaneri sev.
- Gram flour/Besan-250 gms
- Cooking oil-1/2 cup
- Water-3/4 cup
- Turmeric-pinch of
- Lemon juice-1 tsp
- Soda bi carb- a pinch of
- Salt-1 tsp
- Pepper corns-20
- Carom seeds/ajwain-1/2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds-1 tsp
- Black salt-1 tsp
- Asafoetida-1 tsp
- Ginger powder-1 tbsp
- Red chili powder-1 tbsp
- Take a pan and dry roast,cloves,pepper corns,fennel seeds and carom seeds
- Take out in a bowl and grind with rest of the spices, listed in spice mix and make a fine powder.
- Sieve the powder and keep aside(A)
- Take water and oil in a jar and blend with the help of hand blender till the mixture become white in colour.
- Now add lemon juice, 2.5 tbsp of masala powder(A),soda and blend again for a minute with hand blender.
- Add this mixture(add little liquid at a time) in gram flour,mix and make a medium soft dough.
- Grease your hands and the sev mould with oil.Place the dough in the sev maker/muruku maker with medium size net.(bigger then the bikaneri bhujiya net)
- Heat oil in a deep pan and press and squeeze the mold over the pan to make sev on medium heat.
- When the sev come on the surface of oil then turn the side and cook from both the sides till golden in colour.
- Drain the sev on a paper napkin to absorb the excess oil.
- Roughly crush the sev to make small pieces.
- Store in a air tight container when cool down completely.