A community speciality – Tuvar Dal (Pigeon pea) tempered the Mathura way!
Tuvar daal is the staple of North and South India. In South India it is used to make rasma and sambhar.In North India every region have its own variation of making Tuvar daal ,with different tempering and prefered spices.
In my community Tuvar daal is the most favourite daal and cooked on daily basis,though Moong daal and mixed daal are also prefered but Tuvar daal top the list.The tempering makes it flavourful and delicious.To add tanginess lemon,raw mango or mango powder can be added according to personal preference.
Prep time-5 min
Cooking time-20 min
Cooking time-20 min
- Pigeon peas/Tuvar/Arhar daal -1 cup
- Tomato, chopped-1
- Green chillies, chopped-2
- Ginger, chopped-1/2 tsp
- Sugar- 1tsp
- Lemon juice-1 tbsp
- Salt-1 tsp
- Red chilli powder -1 tsp
- Coriander powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric -1/2 tsp
- Fresh coriander,chopped -3 tbsp
- Ghee-1.5 tbsp
- Asafoetida /hing-1/2 tsp
- Fennel seeds/ saunf -1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds/Methi dana – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds/Rai -3/4 tsp
- Whole red chillies -4
- Wash and soak tuvar daal for 20 minutes in 2 cups of water.
- Add soaked daal in the pressure cooker with chopped tomato, green chillies, 2 cups water and 1 tsp of oil.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium heat.
- After the cooker has cooled down, open and mash the daal with a ladle.
- Add ginger, salt, sugar ,turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and 1.5 glasses of water.
- Mix well and let it boil for another 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Make the tempering – Heat ghee in a small pan (on slow heat) add fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and mustard. when they start crackling add asafoetida and whole red chillies.
- Pour this tempering in the boiling daal, add lemon juice and 1 tblsp of chopped coriander.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tbls of coriander and serve hot with 1 tsp of ghee on top.
you can use 3 tbsp of chopped raw mango at step 5 ,instead of lemon juice
Serving Suggestions – Serve with steamed rice and chapatis.