Mango Vermicelli Kheer- A delicious creamy kheer made with Milk vermicelli and mangoes
Mango Vermicelli kheer- Kheer is a smooth creamy Indian dessert made with milk and rice usually but there are many version of kheer made with -sevai, lauki, apples , sabudana, carrots, makhana kheer, sweet potatoes etc. The kheer I am posting today is made with semolina sevai and mango pulp is added in it for the amazing taste and flavor.
Sevaia or sevaiyan are thin sundried noodles used to make sweet and savory items. They are made of semolina, wheat and refined flour and now healthy millet sevai are also available in the markets. In olden time fresh sevai’s are made in every house using a manual sevai press machine and then they are sundried on a rope but now very good quality of vermicelli’s are very easily available in the market so no one now bothers to make at home.
As soon as summer season began we try different recipes and dishes with ripe or raw mangoes. So many variety of pickles , chutneys , curries and desserts are made and created with this king fruit. Mango Rabdi, falooda, Ice cream, kulfi, Shrikhand ,Phirni , Aamras are often made during summer in most of the houses. This vermicelli mango kheer was sent my a friend last year and every one at my home loved it . Now this sevai kheer is made often at my place during mango season.
I have used MTR brand semolina vermicelli for making this recipe but you can use any brand or type which you normally use at your place. Bambino is also a good brand to use. You can use roasted , unroasted ,very fine one or medium thick which ever type you have, can be used. If using roasted ones then the cooking time will be reduced but personally I prefer unroasted ones as I find there texture better but you can use as per your preference.
I used Alphanso mango to make this kheer but you can use any variety of mango but avoid the one which are too fibrous or stain the pulp to remove the fibers . If fresh mangoes are not available then you can use canned mango puree . For a variation you can add strawberry puree, chikoo puree too or add mango puree in regular rice kheer and make Mango Rice Rice. For vegan version you can use almond milk, Cashew milk, soy milk etc.
You can also try these recipes-
★ Have you tried this recipe? Click on the stars ★ in the recipe card to let us know your feedback! If you tried it then You can also click the recipe pic and share on Instagram with hashtag #maayeka
Mango Vermicelli Kheer I Mango Sevai Kheer
- 1.5 liter Whole Milk / Doodh
- 1 cup Vermicelli / Sevai
- 1 cup Sugar / Chini
- 2 tbsp Pistachio / Pista silvered
- 3 tbsp Almonds / Badam sliced
- few thread Saffron / Kesar
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 4 Alphanso Mangoes
- 2 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add ghee in it and heat on low flame.
- Add the sevai/ vermicelli and roast till nice golden in colour. keep stirring while roasting.
- When done take out in a bowl and keep aside.
- Add 1 tbsp oil in the pan and roast the nuts to a nice golden color and when done take out in a bowl and keep aside.
- Soak the saffron in 1 tbsp of milk and keep aside.
- Now add the milk in the pan and let it boil over medium heat and keep stirring.
- When it come to boil then reduce the heat and let it cook on low heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Now add the roasted sevai and stir well to mix.
- Now let it cook on low heat approx. for 10 minutes or till sevai become soft and kheer become slight thick .
- Now add saffron and sugar and give it a boil , keep stirring so it will not stick or burn at the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat so sugar dissolve and cook properly.
- You can taste the sugar at this stage and adjust if needed.
- Switch off the heat and add the cardamom powder and let it cool down completely.
- Peel all the 4 mangoes and make puree of 3 mangoes and chop 1 mango into small pieces
- When the kheer cool down completely then add the mango puree in the kheer and add half quantity of roasted nuts in it and keep refrigerated for few hours so it become nicely chilled.
- Serve chilled sevai kheer garnished with few mango pieces and sliced nuts.
- Enjoy ! stays well in the refrigerator for 2 days