Chawal ki kheer -When it comes to name popular Indian desserts ,rice kheer tops the list,its the favorite of all and is popular in all the states of india with slightly different names.
Its a creamy milk and rice pudding.To make kheer first the milk have to be boiled then raw rice is added in it and then it is cooked on medium heat till rice become soft .Then sugar and chopped nuts,saffron are added and cooked to get a creamy medium thick consistency and at last cardamom powder is added in it for a nice rich flavour.
Chawal ki kheer taste warm and cold both ways.Even the leftover taste great next day.
You can also try these delicious kheer recipes –
Chawal ki Kheer / Rice Pudding
- 2 lit Full fat Milk
- 100 gms Rice/chawal Short Grain / Tukda Rice / Broken Rice
- 175 gms Sugar / Chini
- 15 Almonds / Badam
- 15 Pistachio / Pista
- 1.5 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- 2 tsp Chiroli / Chironji
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder *
- Pinch Saffron / Kesar Crushed
- Take a heavy bottom pan (I always use pressure cooker to make kheer) and grease it with pure ghee, especially the bottom of the pan.Add milk and give it a boil
- Dry roast saffron, grind and soak in 1 tsp of hot milk.
- Wash rice and then wipe it well with a napkin and add in the boiling milk. Mix properly.
- Cook on medium heat, when it start boiling, lower the heat and cook till rice get cooked well and become soft, it will take minimum 40 minutes.
- Keep stirring in between, and gently mash the rice grains with the laddle while mixing.
- If the rice grains are not mashed while cooking then mash gently with a laddle or whisk.
- Now add sugar and cook for approx 45 minutes on slow heat.
- Keep stirring the kheer in between to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- Add chopped nuts, saffron and cardamom powder.
- Cook for 5 minutes and serve garnished with chopped pistachio.
1-Don't use thin bottom pan to make kheer,otherwise the kheer will stick to the bottom and burn.
2-The quantity of rice depends on the consistency of kheer you want to make,as some want to make it thin and some prefer to make it thick and creamy.
3-sweetness depends on your taste,so add sugar accordingly.