Daliya ki kheer – Broken wheat and milk porridge cooked in Indian way
Being a complex carbohydrate, the rate at which it gets digested is slow thus releasing glucose on a slow and sustained rate. This makes it an ideal food for diabetics, people wanting to lose weight or those who have high cholesterol levels.
It has high fibre content, which not only helps in keeping the digestive system healthy but also keeps the hunger at bay for a longer
time. Daliya is very good for all age people. You can give daliya ki kheer to babies as it is very nutritious and easy to digest and kids just love its creamy texture and taste. Old age people have difficulty digesting heavy food but this daliya ki kheer is also good for them.
It is also a very good for new mothers and lactating mothers as post natal food . Just add some more nuts and give for breakfast with some savory food.
Do Try these de;icious daliya recipes-
Daliya ki Kheer (Metha Daliya)
- 1 cup Broken wheat / Daliya
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter / Desi Ghee
- 2 cup Water / Paani
- 3 cup Whole Milk / Doodh
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Chini
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 10 Almonds / Badam
- 2 tbsp Raisins / Kishmish
- Pinch Saffron / Kesar
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add broken wheat.Roast on medium flame for approx 3 minute till it become golden in colour.
- If you want to avoid ghee then dry roast in a pan for 5 minutes OR bake in oven for 15 minutes on 150 f.
- Add 2 cups of water and roasted broken wheat in the cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles on low flame.
- Open and add milk,mix well and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.Add sugar,saffron, chopped almond and pista.
- Let it cook on low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add raisins and cardamom powder.(avoid adding raisins in the boiling milk as it may curdle due to the sourness of raisins)
- Serve hot or cold.