A creamy and smooth rice and strawberry dessert
Phirni is a classic dessert from the state of Punjab.It is a simplified and creamer version of – Chawal ki kheer .To make chawal ki kheer whole rice is added in the milk and then cooked till done but for making phirni ground rice is added to make it smother and creamier.You can also add rice flour instead of adding ground soaked rice but I prefer to add soaked and ground rice as it gives better results.
Tomorrow is holi -the festival of colours and children just love this festival.On Holi lots of sweets and snacks are made which we normally makes on every festive occasion but some delicacies are specially made on Holi or rather can say are associated with Holi like Meethi Mawa Gujiya, Gulab jamun, Punjabi Aloo Samosa, Dahi Vada , Kanji vada etc.
Yesterday I made Phirni and as few strawberries are lying in the refrigerator so added the strawberry puree in the phirni to give it a touch of Holi 🙂 ,Every one at home loves the mild flavour of strawberry in the phirni,Do try it on this holi and you will surely lov
A Happy and Colourful Holi To Every One !!!!!
- 1 liter Whole Milk / Doodh
- 9 Strawberries
- 3/4 cup Sugar / Chini
- 8 Pistachio / Pista
- 6 Almonds / Badam
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder
- 4.5 tbsp Rice/chawal short grain /tukda
- Soak rice in water for an hour.
- Drain the water and grind the rice coarsely with little water.
- Grind 8 strawberries and make a smooth puree.(keep one strawberry for the garnish)
- Heat milk in a heavy bottom pan and let it come to a boil
- Then simmer the milk for 5 minutes.
- Mix little water in the rice paste to make it a smooth paste and add it in the boiling milk and mix quickly.
- Cook it for about 20 minutes on medium heat .
- Keep stirring the rice till the rice get cooked completely.
- Now add sugar and cardamom powder and cook further for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it come to room temperature.
- Now mix the strawberry puree and pour in earthern pot
- Serve chilled with a garnish of strawberry,sliced pistachio and almonds.