Aloo Samosa- Crisp patties stuffed with spicy potato and pea filling
.If you are looking for some snack and sweet recipes to try on Holi then check-
Cut it from the center to make 2 pieces. Apply water on the sides and fold it like a cone.
How To Make Aloo Samosa ,Punjabi Samosa Recipe
- 2 cup Refined Flour / Maida 325 gms
- 4 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Juice / Nimbu Ka Ras
- 1/4 tsp Carom Seeds / Ajwain
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 5 medium size Potatoes / Aloo boiled
- 3/4 cup Green Peas / Hari Matar boiled
- 1 tsp Green Chillies / Hari Mirch chopped
- 1.5 tsp Ginger / Adrak grated
- 2.5 tsp Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli powder / Laal mirch powder
- 1.5 tsp Mango Powder / Amchoor Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder / Dhaniya Powder
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala Powder
- to taste Salt / Namak
- 3 tbsp Fresh Coriander / Cilantro / Hara Dhaniya chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds / Sabut Dhaniya
- 1.5 TSP Dried Pomegranate seeds powder/anardana powder
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds / Sabut Jeera
- For the stuffing- Dry roast coriander seeds, anardana and cumin and crush them coarsly.
- Peel and mash potatoes roughly,don't make a paste,
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds.When cumin become golden then add ginger,green chilies and boiled peas and saute for 1 minutes.
- Now add chili powder,coriander powder,salt and mango powder and stir to mix.
- Add mashed potatoes, crushed and roasted powder,garam masala and saute for 2 minutes on medium heat
- Take out in a bowl and add fresh chopped coriander.
- For the samosa dough- In a big bowl take refined flour,ajwain and salt and mix it .
- Now add cooking oil and rub it well with your fingers.
- Add lemon juice and mix again
- Now add cold water and make a stiff dough like we make for poori. Cover the dough and keep aside to rest for 1 -2 hour.
- Rub it well to make it smooth.
- Make equal size of balls from the dough and keep them covered with a moist muslin cloth.
- Roll the ball to make a slightly oval shape poori/disc of medium thickness.
- Cut it from the center to make 2 pieces.
- Apply water on the sides and fold it like a cone.
- Give a fold on the other side of the poori,it helps to retain the shape and stand
- Now stuff the cone with the prepared potato mixture till 3/4 .
- Now apply water from your fingertip all around the the opening
- Press both the sides together to close it completely.
- Make all samosas this way and keep aside.
- Now heat enough oil in a deep pan.
- Add few samosa in the pan and fry on low heat till they become crisp and golden
- Drain on a kitchen towel and repeat with the remaining samosas.
- The samosa pastry dough should be firm to get crisp samosa.
- Seal them perfectly otherwise they can open up while frying and spoil all the oil.
- Deep fry on low heat ,if you fry on high flame then they do become golden from outside but will not become crisp and get uncooked from inside.
- You can add raisins and chopped cashews at step- 4
- Can also add some mixed vegetable along with potatoes to make a healthy version.
- Though Punjabi samosa are quite big in size but you can make according to your preference ,I have made medium size samosas.
- Use cold water to make the dough.
- The poori should not be thick or very thin.
- Can use lemon juice if mango powder is not available.
- You can make and fry them slightly and then keep them refrigerated for 1-2 days and then again deep fry them while serving.
- For a healthy low fat version-you can bake samosa at 180 degree for about 30- 35 minutes.